BW - 9

Aidan drove in no hurry, eating the chocolate Alex had given him. Anything to stomach that he'd spent a couple of hours checking headstones for nothing. Mark had texted him the directions to the bar, and Aidan intended to drown his mood in something way stronger than homebrew ale.

He'd just turned to access the bar's parking lot when he spotted Alex striding into the side alley. She didn't seem to notice the three punks getting high by the trash container, but they did notice her, and followed her. Aidan slammed on the brakes, snorting, and jumped out of the Challenger.

When he reached the alley, Alex stood face to the tall fence at the end of it. She looked like talking to something or someone, and she sounded really pissed off.

"You cannot touch her, you crazy bitch!" she yelled. "I've seen to it!"

The punks surrounded her from behind. One of them grabbed her arm, making her spun around with a rough tug. Alex found herself only a step away from his stinky breath.

"Hey, there, puppy."

Her anger sent a wave of heat up her face. "Let go, you useless fuck!" she snarled, yanking her arm free.

But the punk pushed her toward one of his friends, who locked his arms around her from behind. They mocked her while she squirmed and struggled. The third punk grabbed her hair, pulling her head back to kiss her.

"Let'er go!"

Aidan's voice thundered across the alley. The punks turned around to find him pointing a handgun to the head of the one holding Alex. They set her free right away and Aidan waved her over.

"Easy, pal," said one of the punks, keeping his hands a little up. "No need to-"

Alex's fist hitting his jaw cut him off. He stumbled back as she spun on her heels and threw another punch.

"Awesome," Aidan grunted, ducking a blow from the third punk.

He knocked the punk down and engaged the one Alex had hit first, who was already back on his feet and about to swing a rusty pipe at Aidan's head. The punk joined his friend on the ground in under a minute. Aidan turned to Alex, just in time to see her sink her knee deep up the last punk's crotch.

Aidan couldn't help grimacing in sympathy. Alex faced her, fists up with scratched knuckles, ready to keep fighting.

"You couldn't play it smooth, huh?" he scolded her.

"Shut the fuck up, asshole!"

Aidan realized he'd just made it to the top of the list of morons asking for sore jewels, so he threw up his hands.

"Hey, I come in peace."

Alex managed to control her urge to punch him, turned her back on him and strode away, her heart hammering her chest and adrenaline pumping fast in her system.

Aidan was about to follow her, grunting annoyed, when a freezing gust blew in the alley, delivering the echo of a creaky giggle to his ears. He scanned the place, reaching for the gun in his waist, but there was no one there, save the groaning punks.

He hurried after Alex, cursing under his breath. Now he was sure the witch had lured her there for the punks to assault her.

And Claire would've been left unprotected.

Meanwhile, Claire and Mark interrupted their conversation to watch Alex walk back into the bar. She glanced at the table, as to check they were fine, and went on straight to the counter at the end of the room. They were about to comment that she looked sort of disheveled when Aidan stalked in, wearing a notorious scowl, and followed on her steps.