BW - 4

An hour later, a 1998 white four-door Toyota Hilux pulled over by the curb at the town square. Alex and Claire got out and headed to the stands lined up along the lanes circling the gazebo. They asked around for a good while, but they couldn't find the old lady selling pendants.

"She only comes to town for supplies," a man told them at one of the stands.

At another stand, that offered second-hand books, Alex asked for tittles about local traditions and old lore.

"You should go to Wilma's," replied the woman behind the board counter. "It's on Main Street, across the street from the police station."

"Local lore?" repeated Claire as they headed back to the Hilux.

"Maybe I can find something about that symbol. We also need to take a look at old newspapers, to try to figure out whose ghost we're dealing with."

"I don't think they've got them digitalized."

"Then we gotta go to the library and check their archives."

"Listen, books are your thing, so you go to that bookstore and I'll go to the library." Claire smiled when she saw Alex's frown. "Easy, Momma Bear. See the white building there ahead? That's the library. I'll be safe there. Go get your books and come pick me up."

Alex set her jaw and swallowed her objections. Claire didn't gave her a chance to change her mind, and walked away with one last smile. Alex waited to see her walk into the library, and only then she climbed into the Hilux.

The bookstore was only two streets away from the town square, and on her way in, Alex recognized the Challenger parked outside the police station. Hunters. They just couldn't take a single step outside their silly book of rules. Mark and his brother were most likely in there, playing lawyers or something like that, trying to lay eyes on the bodies and hands on the autopsy reports.

And she was right.

While she talked to Wilma, a smart and lovely woman in her fifties, Aidan handed out his best fake personal card, that introduced him as Doctor Adam Young, attorney. Mark waited two steps behind, letting Aidan lie through his teeth in his usual confident way.

"I'm here about the young man found dead earlier today at the Sweet July campground. I'm the family's attorney, and his father asked me to find out what happened to his son."

The police officer behind the front desk was well aware that Aidan's card and poise didn't match his worn jeans and flannel. But better safe than sorry.

"The Sheriff is still over there, but I think Doctor Paulson can see you. Wait here, please."

Aidan nodded with a polite smile and stepped back to wait with Mark. A few minutes later, the boy was reading the flyers on a community board when his brother swallowed hard and stepped up. He didn't need to look to know Doctor Paulson was a she, and what kind of she. He turned around anyway.

Just like he'd thought, Doctor Paulson was a smoking hot blonde, straight from Aidan's wildest predator dreams.

"Doctor Young?" she said, shaking Aidan's hand, silk and velvet in her voice, her smile an inviting treat. "How can I help you?"

Mark heard Aidan mumble something like, "If I could only tell you," and stepped up too to elbow his ribs.

Aidan cleared his throat and did his best to ignore the doctor's prominent collar and stay in character.

Across the street, Alex bought two books and Wilma promised to get her two more the next day. Walking out of the bookstore, she spotted Mark resting against the Challenger, alone. The boy saw her and came to join her, smiling.