2

Claire walked past the Hilux in the driveway, breathed deep and opened the front door, ready to fake a smile.

But there was nobody home.

She checked the kitchen and Alex's room. Nothing. No-one. She paused at the living room to scratch her head with a puzzled frown. Ollie had just driven by the bookstore on their way from his place, and Alex wasn't there either. Then where...?

The house was quiet and tidy.

Then she spotted the folded note with her name written on it, resting against the picture of the whole Corban family on the mantelpiece. Curiosity gave way to surprise when she found the car keys by the note. Where on earth had Alex gone to leave the Hilux behind?

"I know you need to process what happened, and room to do it. Summer's ending and I haven't been to the mountain yet. Call Jeff if you need to locate me. And you better be nice to my baby."

Claire sighed. If Alex knew she wouldn't have phone signal, it meant she was going north up Boulder Creek to Crystal Hollow, her favorite place to camp. She wouldn't be back for three or four days.

After what had happened at Will Murray's place, Claire had stayed over at Ollie's for three days. Alex hadn't pushed it. She'd only check in at night, to make sure Claire was fine. She never asked why the girl wasn't coming back home. Neither did she offer excuses or explanations.

And now that note. It was very unusual of Alex to leave without letting Claire know in advance. Wrong, the girl corrected herself: it was the first time she'd ever done it. The timing was also odd, considering they finally had it all set to open the bookstore.

However, Alex was right about Claire needing room. Yet the girl felt bad about her own behavior, since it was plain to see she wasn't the only one needing some digesting.

She wondered what she'd do until Alex's return. Inviting Ollie over, no brainer. And while he was working... A mischievous smirk pursed her lips. Old Bootter's books were still there, and Claire's fingertips tinkled at the thought of laying hands on them.