15

Claire fixed herself a ton of her favorite salad and sat to eat on the living-room sofa before the TV, more than ready to enjoy the rainy night with a romantic comedy. Ollie was on duty until the morning and she was actually grateful for that little time alone.

Ollie called when Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore had just met, so Claire paused them to promise Ollie she was fine-fine-fine. After sweetening her promise with breakfast ready for him on his return, she was free to resume Music & Lyrics.

For five whole minutes.

Until the doorbell rang. She stood up with a sigh and left Hugh Grant singing to her salad.

Sheriff Graham didn't take long. He showed her Alex's message, asked if she was okay and left. But that was enough to make her lose any interest in the movie and her plans for a lazy evening.

Because Alex's message on Graham's phone had only one word: 'garthling'.

Claire turned off the TV on her way to the kitchen. She also played My Chemical Romance—low, so Tricia wouldn't hear it—and turned on the coffeemaker. She felt as if she'd been injected an adrenaline shot. She brought all of Old Bootter's books to the table and opened the indexes.

She was cheered up for the first time since she and Alex took on Felicity's cobolt.

Graham wouldn't say what was going on in Boulder Creek, so she'd only find out looking into what Alex needed. That alone was exciting enough to make her giggle and rub her hands together.