25

Looked like Jeff and Claire intended to throw a slumber party. They welcomed the hunters back with coffee, cookies, thermal blankets, a nice fire and even music. As soon as Alex walked in, Claire threw her arms around her neck and hugged her tight. Alex hugged the girl back. On his way in, Tom smiled at the scene.

"Damn you, Al! I was so scared!"

Alex kissed Claire's hair with an affectionate smile and led her to the fireplace, where Tom was already wrapped in a blanked with a steamy mug in his hands. And only then Alex noticed all he was wearing was his T-shirt, now soaking wet.

"I want you to meet somebody," she said to her niece. "This is Tom Sutton. Tom, this is my niece Claire."

She watched them shake hands and a chill ran down her spine when she saw Tom's warm smile at the girl.

"Nice to meet you, Tom. You okay? Jeff said you were hurt."

"I'm fine, thanks, Claire."

Alex poked the girl's arm. "What was in that shell you wanted us to use on the garthling?"

"One of Grandpa's recipes. No time to perform the spell to kill the garthling, so I charged that shell with a seal."

"So it's still alive," Tom said.

"Yes, but it can't change rides anymore. When this wolf dies, so will the garthling."

Tom nodded with a focused frown, trying to process the whole meaning of Claire's words.

Bass came to stand between Alex and Claire and rested his arms around their shoulders. "We're leaving, ladies. We wanna get some sleep before there's another Corban in distress we need to rescue."

"Corban in distress!" Jack repeated while everybody laughed. "I'd like that on a T-shirt!"

Jeff came back with more coffee and looked disappointed when the hunters waved goodbye at him on their way out.

"I'll go warm the truck up," Claire said to Alex.

"You leaving too?" Jeff asked, about to pout, and turned to Tom. "But you're staying, right? I mean, where else would you—"

"I'm staying, if you don't mind," Tom completed politely.

Claire patted Jeff's arm and walked out after the hunters.

"I'm bringing a mat for you," said Jeff. "And a pillow. Another blanket?"

"Yes, please."

A moment later, Ale and tome were alone by the fire. She met his eyes and his mild smile. All of a sudden she didn't want to leave.

"I'll be here early in the morning, so we can go pick our stuff up," she said, as casual as she could manage.

Tom nodded and glanced at the front door behind her. Alex heard the Hilux's engine purring outside. Yeah, Claire waited for her. She'd come to help them without hesitation. And she'd saved their lives. Her sweet child. Her brave little woman. Alex nodded too, mirroring Tom's smile.