14

The parade started at one. Every institution and organization in Bold Peak was represented, and people cheered and waved flags at them. Ollie marched with the other police deputies, following a serious, martial Graham. When they marched by the bookstore, he glanced at the sidewalk and winked at Claire, who stood with the others at the curb.

The girl smiled at him, clapping. But something across the street caught her attention. She almost launched herself into the parade, a sharp pain prick in her belly pushing her toward the dead girl she could swear she'd just seen.

Once more, Alex's firm grip on her shoulder stopped her.

"What the hell, Claire?" she whispered.

"It's nothing," the girl muttered. "Just a heartburn."

Alex's face stated clearly how much she didn't believe it. Claire shrugged, grimacing.

"I don't know, Al. I thought I'd seen Lila Malher twice already."

"Lila Malher...?"

"The girl in black?"

"Oh. But she's..."

"Dead! I know!"

Claire looked away, impatient, her eyes scanning the faces across the street again. She had a glimpse of a face behind a second-floor window. It was George. He and Markus watched the parade from his studio, upstairs from Pat's realtor office. She saw two more men with them, and she met the eyes of one of the strangers. Not exactly a stranger. She'd seen that man before. At the bookstore opening. And just like that day, she choked when he met his eyes, as if a frozen claw closed around her throat.

Alex held her up when she staggered and made her step back.

"Enough. We're going home."

Claire shook Alex's hands off. "Let go! I'm fine!"

Alex was taken aback by the girl's annoyed reaction. Tom's hand pressed her back and she forced a smile to turn to him. He frowned, noticing something was off.

"We're taking the children to the diner for a hot chocolate," he said.

"You go ahead. We'll be right there."

"We?"

Alex looked to her right. Claire had disappeared. She turned to Tom again and got to see her niece pressing on among the crowd, heading back to the town square.

"Where's she going in such a hurry?" Tom asked.

"Let's go, Dad!" said Samuel, tugging at his jacket. "It's cold out here!"

He traded a glance with Alex and turned his dad mode on to smile down at his son. "Lead the way, buddy."

"You coming, Al?" asked Bass.

"Hurry up or I'm having your chocolate!" said Felicity.

Alex hid her concern and smiled. "Don't you dare, little miss!"

She waited for them to start for Jill's and followed through the crowd, apart from them, phone to her ear. Her calls went all straight to voice mail, but she kept dialing Claire, scanning the faces around her on her way to the park.

Claire never picked up. Alex found her at the corner of the police station, steps away from Main Street, chattering with Ollie and Graham, not a care in the world.

Ollie waved at Alex. "Hey, Al! Already lost your guests?"

"Hey yourself, kiddo. Blame it on your girl, that doesn't pick up her phone." Alex turned to Claire, trying to look and sound casual. "Hot chocolate at Jill's?"

"I'll catch up with you guys later. Ollie didn't have a chance to see the fait yet," Claire replied, smiling.

Alex studied her, trying to understand the girl's odd mood shifts over the last twenty minutes. Graham patted her shoulder before she could say anything.

"I'm in for the chocolate. C'mon, Al. Let the youngsters have some fun," he said, leading her softly away. "So your archer friend is staying at your place?"

Alex glanced at Claire one last time as she allowed Graham to take her away. What was wrong with her niece? What was going on?