14

The sun rose in no hurry, painting a golden line along the tops of the Northern Cascades mountains, east of Baker Lake. Soon it sparkled on every dew drop, every leaf, every rock.

At the northwest end of the construction site, Claire accepted the steel mug full of coffee that Father Jason offered her. She still sat at the edge of the hole George and the workers had fallen into the day before.

She was wrapped in Ollie's jacket while he drowsed by her side, his arm around her shoulders. Only the three of them remained there, and Markus, sleeping in his car near the road. Everybody else had left after Alex brought the workers back.

It'd been at least half an hour since Claire had last sensed any sign of her aunt, and it grew harder for the girl to stay calm. She'd followed the ups and downs of Alex's mood all through the afternoon and that endless night. Surprise, rage, anxiety, guilt, sadness. Then came an urge that turned into such a bitter desperation that had Claire crying for a long while. After that, the girl perceived an explosion of happiness and relief, about an hour ago. And then Alex's emotions faltered and died away. Right then, Claire could sense nothing. As if Alex weren't there anymore.

She was thankful for Father Jason's distraction. He'd stayed right by her side since the moment Alex decided she'd try to find the four missing men. But Claire knew they'd have to make a call soon. If she wasn't able to sense Alex again soon, they would have to let Markus bring on the dozer and search for Alex and George in his own fashion.

Father Jason opened his mouth to make a question when Claire jumped to her feet, waking Ollie up with a jolt and almost spilling the coffee on them both in the process. She'd just felt like a punch of fear and anguish hitting her right in her chest. Not Alex. But she recognized that energy. She handed the mug back to the priest and sprinted away toward the edge of the woods, where Alex had appeared with the workers twelve hours earlier.

Father Jason sent Ollie to get Markus and hurried after her. They found George under the first trees, dead pale and covered in dirt. He was on his knees, bent over himself, holding a seemingly unconscious Alex in his arms.

He looked up at them confused, heavily breathing. Claire crouched down in front of him, forcing herself to ignore her aunt.

"Hey, George, it's me, Claire," she said gently. "You okay? Can you tell me what happened?"

George faced her, eyes wide open, and managed to shake his head.

"The ambulance is on the way," said Ollie, joining them.

Markus brushed past them and leaned toward his friend, resting a hand on his shoulder.

"We can't wait," he grunted, and flashed a tight smile at George. "Hey, George, wanna come with me? Let's take you guys to the hospital."

Father Jason had taken off his jacket and tried to cover Alex. George ignored Markus to turn away from them, tightening his arms around her.

"It's okay, George," Claire said. "Would you let us help you take Al to the car?"

George hesitated, as if some of Claire's words reached his messed mind. He looked down at Alex and finally allowed Claire and Ollie to take her from his arms. As they carried her away to the Hilux, Markus and Father Jason helped George to his staggering feet.