Anniversary - 10

Two shadows climbed the short slope from the lake and hid behind the bushes flanking the road. From there, they saw Sheriff Graham arrive on Murray's place, followed by the ambulance. They thought they would be caught when Ollie pulled over only a few feet away from them.

The ambulance headlights fell on Rob Thompson's face when it turned to drive away back to the hospital. He ducked and turned to Lila Malher.

"I should go back. The sirens must've waken up dad, and you know he's a full-out paranoid ever since—"

"They'll see you if you go out now."

Rob grimaced. She was right. He looked at Murray's place again and signaled Lila to crouch down. Ollie was bringing Claire to his F100. They waited for the truck to follow the ambulance away.

"Why are Alex Corban and Sheriff Graham still there?" Rob muttered. A golden glow lit up the backyard trees from beneath. "Fire? What—?"

"They're burning the bodies of those girls," Lila replied, sticking to his side.

Rob sensed her agitation and put his arm around her shoulders.

"Bodies?" he asked. "D'you know what happened there?"

She looked up at him, her pale pretty face suddenly hardened.

"Remember the girls we saw earlier? That woman, Alex Corban, murdered them because they weren't human. So now, she and the sheriff are burning the bodies to hide what she did." The girl set her jaw as she turned to glare at the Hilux. "She's burning them just like she burned our babies!"

Rob held her tighter. "Hush, love," he whispered. "You need to move on and think about the future."

"There's no future for us as long as that murderous bitch is in the way!"

"You don't mean Alex—"

"Of course! She kills whatever's not human, or just out of the ordinary! Like she would kill me if she ever finds me!"

Rob knew better than arguing. Lila was always like that. She liked some little drama, and she always came up with the weirdest ideas to get started.

"Don't worry," he said. "We'll work it out."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

The boy sough her soft, cold lips painted black, and they kissed in no hurry.

"I really gotta go."

She nodded with a lovely smirk and stepped away from him. Rob mustered his will to part from her. Lila seemed to have some kind of power over him. Something deep inside of him needed her around all the time. Sometimes he felt actually sick, saying goodbye to her, and the heartburn lasted for hours.

"Will I see you tomorrow?" he asked, fighting the pull to take her in his arms again.

"Sure."

Rob breathed deep and turned to climb up to the road, feeling the hole in his belly as he moved away from Lila. He reached the shoulder and started toward Main Street.

"Rob Thompson! Is that you?"

The boy was so busy, fighting back his need to stay with Lila, he'd failed to notice Alex by her truck, phone in hand. So he wore his best smile and waved hi at her, hoping he looked cool and confident as he crossed the road to meet her.

"Hey, Alex!"

She observed him from under a suspicious frown. "What're you doing out here so late?"

Rob kept trying to play it cool. "Beach party, y'know. Enjoying the summer night."

"Your folks know you're here?"

He ignored her glare and winked. "Keep me the secret, would ya?"

"So they don't."

"It's just that ever since my birthday, they're all over. Frigging control freaks. Like, I turn eighteen and they treat me like a fucking first-grader!"

Alex nodded. Even though the rant was honest, the boy was lying through his teeth. What about? She played along.

"Well, you better get on your way, kiddo. I won't tell. This time."

Rob's relief was as honest as his complaints, and he waved goodbye as he left.

Alex watched him hurry away. He wasn't there for a get-together with his rascal friends on the public beach next to Vincent's, or she would've heard their voices and music. She hadn't seen any car, either, and Stevie Malher didn't go anywhere on foot ever since he'd turned sixteen and had gotten his license.

"A beach party across the street from the ertes and they didn't swing by for a snack?" she muttered. "Sure, anytime."

The phone buzzing made her forget about taking a look across the road, to see what had brought Rob around. Claire's voice was still weak and shaky, but the girl didn't give her room for questions.

"I'm just outta the ER and Dr. Jackson says I'm fine. It was only a few scratches. I'm staying at Ollie's."

"Oh, okay," was all Alex got to say before Claire disconnected.

She let out a long sigh. Of course Claire wouldn't want to sleep under the same roof with her after seeing her kill the ertes. Especially because her niece's had most likely sensed what she'd felt while at it.

Graham joined her then, his face all sweaty from the fire.

"Done, Al. Nothing left but ashes," he said. "Young lady, you're a mess. Go home, take a shower, get some sleep. Come see me tomorrow morning. We need to come up with a story for Will's death and your being here tonight, and fill up some paperwork.

"Yessir," Alex replied. Good thing Graham's brain still functioned better than hers.

The sheriff patted her shoulder with a tight smile.

"Go home, Alex. And thank you. God only knows how many lives you saved tonight. Once again."

Taken aback by his gratitude, Alex just shrugged and headed for the Hilux.