4

On Thursday morning, despite the freezing wind, all the shop owners along Main Street were out early in the morning, busy like bees decorating the front of their stores. On Friday morning, city staff would complete the preparations, hanging labels across the street and stuffing every available pole with loads of flags. On Anniversary Weekend, Bold Peak liked to look like Fourth Of July in winter.

Sophie Malher headed to the bookstore carrying a dish covered with a kitchen cloth, greeting people on her way. She found Alex and Claire hanging a huge flag ribbon on the shop window. Claire flashed a bright smile at her and pointed at the dish in her hands.

"Need my opinion?"

"Hi, Claire! Hi, Al! Sure I need it. You're the expert!"

Claire preceded Sophie into the store.

"Hey! I want a bite too!" said Alex from the top of the ladder.

"This is for cooks. Are you one?" replied Claire.

"Not fair."

Alex was coming down the ladder when her phone buzzed. She checked the caller. Tom? So early? He'd called her twice over the last weeks, to check on her recovery, but always at night, when he got home after work. They'd been nice, relaxed talks. Even though Tom was always a little dry in his ways, conversation flowed easily between them, like that rainy night in the woods. However, they never mentioned the night they'd spent together, nor did they talk about meeting again.

Just like the previous times she'd read his name on her phone, her heart beat a little faster, but she didn't let it show in her voice. She picked up with her smile.

"Mr. Sutton, aren't you a morning person."

She heard the murmur of water on the other end of the line, and pictured Tom out on a routine inspection at lake Gorge's dam.

"Hi. Did I wake you up?"

"Not a chance. Anniversary Weekend. Loads of silly things to do."

From inside the bookstore, Claire saw Alex smile as she talked on the phone and tried to stall Sophie, to keep from interrupting her aunt. A couple of minutes later she saw Alex disconnect and waved for Sophie to go back out with her.

"Trust me, this is the right amount of sugar," she said. "Bake as many as you want, 'cause you're totally selling out on day one."

"Hope so! We wanna go all the way to LA next summer, and we need all the money we can make this weekend!"

Alex slid the phone into her pocket at the same time George came out of Jill's, at the other corner, sipping his coffee to go. He performed a notorious full stop when he saw her, turned to his left and strode across the street.

Claire and Sophie joined Alex on the sidewalk. Sophie left them with more cheerful thanks to Claire, but the girl didn't pay her much attention, because she spotted George sneaking into his office like a thief. She was about to comment on that when the Williams walked by them, and they had to smile and greet them. Claire tried again and her voice was muted by Pete McKayne's honk as he drove by.

"Everything okay with George?" Claire succeeded to ask before more neighbors showed up.

Alex turned her back on the girl with the excuse of picking up hammer, nails and the decorations they didn't have room to display.

"Yeah. Everything's just fine," she replied.

Claire folded the ladder and carried it into the store after Alex.

"I just saw him going into Pat's office. No morning coffee today? Weird. He didn't miss it one day since you left the hospital."

Alex shrugged. "Yeah, well, guess he ain't dropping by anymore."

She hoped Claire wouldn't pick on her flashback of what she'd felt the other night, when George walked her home.

Claire sensed her sadness and didn't insist. After all, it was about time George opened up his eyes and faced how things really were. She headed to what they'd mockingly named 'the backroom'—the tiny spare space behind the large bookshelf, which they'd placed to keep the toilet door out of sight. They had a small table between the shelf and the toilet door, with everything they needed to fix themselves a hot drink or a quick bite. The girl was setting the coffeemaker to make some tea for them, when she heard Alex speak from the counter.

"Tom's coming over this weekend."

She tried to sound casual, even indifferent, but Claire always sensed that... tinkling about her aunt whenever she mentioned Tom. The girl played casual along.

"Nice. You guys haven't seen each other since he came to the hospital."

"Actually, I didn't see him back then."

"True! So it'd be the first time for you after first meeting him."

Claire narrowed her eyes, waiting for Alex to speak. There was something else, other than the usual tinkling. Alex didn't say a word, so the girl showed out from behind the shelf.

"What is it?" she asked.

Alex spun around at Claire's question, her face a neon sign of condemnation of the girl's indiscreet empathy. Claire winked at her. She resumed dusting off the books on the table.

"Well, y'know we've talked over the phone a few times, but..."

"Not the same. Phone's safe."

"Exactly. Plus, he's coming with his son."

Claire's silence made Alex glance back, to find her gawking.

"The Anniversary. Fair, fireworks, lotta fun for an eight-year-old. Betty's in is full with George's crew, so I told Tom they can stay home with us." Claire's face made her chuckle. "Snap out of it, would ya."

"Well, the Suttons coming over is big news already. And they staying with us? Where are they gonna sleep?"

"I'm taking the sofa and giving them my room."

"No need. I can stay over at Ollie's and give you guys some room."

"Oh, no. You're so not leaving me all alone to play happy Sutton family."

Claire disappeared behind the shelf to pour their teas.

"Alright," she said from there. "But I'm taking the sofa, so we can accommodate junior in my room. In case you and Tom need some privacy after he goes to bed."

She brought their teas to the counter and couldn't help laughing at Alex's embarrassed scowl.