17

George found Claire drowsing, arms folded on the bed and her head resting on them. He used the IV foot for support to walk. His footsteps startled her up, and she hurried to help him to a chair by the bed.

Alex was still unconscious, so pale and absent. By the window, the table was full of flowers, balloons, baskets, as if the whole town had dropped by to express their best wishes for her recovery.

"Hey, how're you feeling?" Claire asked.

George looked pale too, and still weak and shaken. "Fine, thanks," he said, slower than usual, his eyes on Alex. "My head's a little light, but they say it's the meds. How is she?"

The girl shook her head.

"What does Lorrigan say? It's been three days..."

Claire shrugged. "Both Lorrigan and Jackson say she's fine, getting her strength back." She sighed. "They swear it's not a coma, 'cause she has brain activity. She's like... dreaming."

George nodded, taking Alex's hand. He stiffened at feeling it so heavy and cold—so dead.

"You're going home today, right?" asked Claire. George's anguish seemed to flood the room, adding to hers, and it was just too much for the girl to handle.

"Yeah, Markus is picking me up."

"That's good news."

"He told me he Al was fine when she rescued the workers."

There he was again. "Yeah, you may say so."

"So this... She being like this... It's because of me."

"You're not responsible for what happened, George. You yourself were hardly alive when you guys got outta there."

"Out of where?" George shook his head, exasperated. "I can't recall a damn thing! The last thing I remember is standing by a hole in the ground, after those guys fell. Then the ground moved under my feet and... nothing! Next thing I'm in the hospital, a whole day later!"

"You must've hit your head when the ground caved in."

Claire wanted to change the subject, but he just wouldn't drop it.

"If I could only remember. Anything! Maybe we could figure out what happened to her and find a way to cure her!"

"Listen, George, this is not your fault, okay? And Al's gonna be fine in no time, trust me."

Markus knocked on the open door, putting an end to the conversation. He walked in with his usual good mood and a bright smile.

"Hi, Claire! Hey, George, there you are! Shall we? Alice promised to welcome us with a homemade lunch."

Claire watched them leave together and sighed. It broke her heart, seeing George like that. She would've loved to offer him some comfort. But there was nothing she could say to him, but lies.