BW - 7

The Corbans let their cabin early in the morning, and they were surprised to find the Challenger already gone. On their way to town, they decided to drop by the flea market before checking in at the motel. They didn't expect to be so lucky as to come across Ann Campbell, but maybe they could get directions to her cottage.

"You mean to pay her a visit?" asked Claire.

"Hope we don't need to go knock on her door," Alex replied, her eyes on the side mirror to park the Hilux. "But the librarian told you the Campbells lived there for about a century, right? So chances are they had a little family graveyard nearby. And if Beth killed herself, she couldn't be buried on sacred ground here in town."

"Oh," muttered Claire. "And why does it matter where she's buried?"

Alex hesitated, and realized it was already too late to hold back. "Usually, the easiest way to get rid of a ghost is burning their bones."

The girl's eyebrows jumped up as her lips shaped a silent exclamation.

"Let's go," said Alex. "Some stands are already open."

Their first stop was a stand offering aromatic candles and oils. The nice woman selling them knew Ann Campbell, and explained to them how to get to the cottage in the woods north of town. Claire didn't hide her surprise when Alex picked a bunch of candles while the woman talked, and bought them all.

"Why so many?" the girl asked as they strolled around the gazebo.

"She gave us precious information. It's the least we could do in return."

"A couple of candles was enough." Claire studied Alex for a moment and giggled. "You're planning a romantic homecoming evening with George!"

Alex looked away. Gosh, she hated Claire's empathy sometimes! She was about to argue, but her eyes fell on a tall head she recognized right away. Without any kind of warning, she grabbed Claire's sleeve and dragged her to catch up with a group of people heading to the City Hall across the square. Hidden among them, they watched Sam stop on a dime and scan around, looking for them. They circled back the gazebo to approach the boy from behind.

"You're too tall to go unnoticed, kiddo," Alex said.

Mark spun around, his face a funny mix of relief and frustration that made Claire giggle. Alex patted his arm.

"Second breakfast on you, for losing your tail," she said. "C'mon, there's a nice diner at the City Hall corner."

"You guys left the campground early," Claire said as they started to the diner together.

"We had stuff to do," Mark replied.

"Trying to loosen the librarian's tongue again?"

He shook his head, chuckling. "No use. Lucky me, she's not the only one in town old enough to have known the Campbell sisters before the youngest killed herself."

"Oh, you're so gonna tell us about it."

"On top of paying for your breakfast? You already sound like my brother, Al."

Mark laughed heartedly when Alex gave him the finger.

"Where are you guys staying now?" asked Claire.

"We found a motel across town." The look the Corbans traded made the boy frown. "What?"

"Only motel in town," Claire replied. "Guess we're gonna be neighbors again."

"That's gonna be fun," said Mark, winking at her as his chin pointed at Alex, who rolled her eyes, snorting.

Over breakfast, the Corbans insisted until he told them what he'd found.