16

Midnight found Aidan and Mark Holster outside Riverton, Wyoming, sneaking noiselessly toward an abandoned farm, thick sticks with sharp points in their hands. The farm house didn't seem so abandoned as they stuck to the wall and tiptoed closer to the back door. Now they could hear the vampires partying inside.

Aidan reached out to the door when Mark's phone rang. He scowled at his brother—what the hell!? He couldn't believe his eyes when Mark checked the caller and picked up. He would've called Mark a few things, but the back door slammed open and three big cowboy vampires stormed out to attack him.

"Mark?" he got to say before being forced to defend himself.

Mark stepped away, phone to his ear. "Claire! How are you?"

"Mark!" Aidan called out.

The boy turned his back on the scuffle, so the creature's shrilling wouldn't bother him so much.

"Two days? But she's fine, right?" he said. "Oh, I see..."

Aidan finished the three vampires off and rested is hands on his knees, catching his breath. But four more cowboys came out.

"MARK!"

"What about some kinda spell?" Mark asked.

"A LITTLE HELP HERE?"

Mark glanced over his shoulder. "Hey, gotta go now, but I'll look into it and call you back, okay?" He smiled. "You too. See ya."

He disconnected and ran to help his brother. Only in time to see the last vampire standing turn to dust with Aidan's stick sunk in his chest.