Chapter Seventeen

Chloe hadn't looked at Max since she had received the note. She didn't know if she could trust him. She knew they had both cheated in the past but she loved him and she didn't know if she could handle losing him to another woman.

Chloe had been speaking to a lawyer about the divorce. Each meeting, she had ended up in tears. There was a slight chance of Chloe getting pregnant again. She hadn't been able to tell Max. Chloe got a text that morning from Melissa -

"Where was your husband last night? Oh, he was with me. Shame. You're not good enough for him - M"

Chloe threw her phone across the bedroom and cried.

Max was sitting in Melissa's house. She was hurting him and making him stay away from his family. She had threatened to kill his entire family. He didn't want them to die. His room door opened and Melissa smiled at him.
"Sign this," Melissa said.
"I would never sign that divorce paper!" Max yelled. Melissa punched him. Max tried not to cry.

She went out and came back with a lighter.
"Sign the paper. You have a week to sign it or I murder you and your family. You belong with me!" Melissa said.
"No!" Max yelled. She pulled down his pants and trousers and burnt him on his private area. Max screamed. She smirked and locked the door to Max's room on her way out. She was off to work.

Chloe text Max. She wasn't playing the victim anymore. She was staying in control. Aubree came in. "Daddy hasn't come home."
"Oh."
Aubree frowned. "Don't you care?"
Chloe sighed. "Bee, don't."
Aubree began crying. "When I was little I always thought you and daddy would be together forever. I hoped that I could give my kids what you and daddy gave me. Love."
"You can do that sweetie. Daddy wants a divorce. Its better for everyone."

Aubree and Chloe drove to school. Chloe hadn't spoken to anyone since she had started receiving the texts. She didn't want to. "Gran said we can stay over tonight."
"Okay."
They noticed Max wasn't in but Melissa was and talking to everyone being friendly. Chloe felt a stabbing pain in her heart.
"Let's go home mummy," Aubree said.
"No Bee. I'm fine sweetie," Chloe said and kissed her cheek.

Max was lying in pain. He had passed out from it and woke up again. He needed to phone someone but Melissa took his phone.

Melissa went over to Charlotte and Chloe. 
"Max told me he wouldn't be in today. Not feeling well. See ya!" Melissa said and walked off.

Aubree knew something was up. She followed Melissa to her classroom. She grabbed the house keys out of her bag and ran off with them. She got Mark to pick her up and go with her to the house.
"What's up Bee?"
"Takle me here please. I need to talk to my dad."
Mark nodded. "Buckle up."

Chloe had taken over Max's duties for the day. She sat in his chair and tried to not cry. She was going to stay strong for her girls. They needed her more than ever.

Aubree pulled up outside Melissa's house. "Come in with me? My dad won't shoot me if I'm not alone," Aubree mumbled.
"He won't shoot you."
Aubree scoffed. "Yeah he will. I'm not in school," she said.
Mark went in with Aubree. She opened the door.
"Daddy?" Aubree shouted.
"Bee I'm up here! Please help me!" Max yelled. Mark closed the door and ran with Aubree upstairs. They tried every key on the key ring until the door opened.

Aubree and Mark were shocked at Max. Melissa had taken every piece of clothing. They saw everything she had done to him.
"Please help me Bee," Max said. Mark found Max a blanket. They put it around him and took him back to the house.

Aubree rang Chloe. Chloe was sitting with Charlotte in the office. Mike was there with Luke.
"Mummy I have daddy. You really need to come home. The police are on their way," Aubree said.
"I'll be there soon Bee. Wait there!" Chloe said. She hung up and ran to her car. She got home and dreaded to think what she would see when she seen Max. Was he even alive? She panicked when she seen the police car
Chloe ran in. She saw Max. "M-Max?"
Max looked up. He had gotten changed and he pulled Chloe into his arms. He held her close. "You finally decided to come back then huh?" Chloe mumbled.
"Mum. Don't."
Chloe sighed. "What happened?"
"Twisted cow. Thinks its okay to abuse people," Aubree said.
"Abuse? Wait, that bitch hurt my man?!"