Chapter Fourty-Five

Chloe was still in her coma. She hadn't woken yet and baby Poppy was still unwell. It wasn't looking good for either of them.

Max had been at the hospital everyday. He wasn't leaving his wife or daughter alone. They needed him. Aubree helped him by looking after the kids with Eddie.

That morning, Max woke. He saw Rosie sitting on the edge of the bed. "Where mummy? S-She no come home."
"Mummy's unwell. She'll come back when she's better."
"O-Okay. I-I go see Bee," Rosie mumbled.

Max went to make himself a coffee. Aubree came down. "I want the truth now dad. How bad is mum and how bad is Poppy?" Aubree asked.
"Not good at all. Your mum is on life support. Your sister is just as bad," Max told his daughter.
Aubree nodded.

X-X-X
Max arrived at the hospital. "Mr Tyler. Your wife has woken up but she's still unwell."
Without waiting to hear more, Max went into Chloe's room to see her sitting up.
Chloe smiled weakly at Max.
"Hey babe," Chloe said. Max cried with happiness and kissed her.
"Poppy is in the baby ward," Max said. Chloe smiled.
"When I'm better I can go and see her," Chloe said. Max nodded.

Max text Aubree to come to the hospital to see her mum. She arrived and hugged Chloe.
"Hey baby girl," she said.
"Eddie's got the kids," Aubree told Max. Max nodded.
"Good."
Aubree smiled and cuddled into her mum. "It's been weird without you."
"I'll bet."

Chloe got a wheelchair and she took herself to the baby ward. Her baby daughter was fighting for her life. "Chloe?"
"She doesn't look like us."
"She's sick," Max said. Aubree began to cry. She had to walk off. It brought her the memories of Arielle.

Chloe smiled. Max wheeled her inside. Chloe put her hand in the incubator. Poppy's small hand wrapped around Chloe's finger. Chloe smiled.
"Go and check on Aubree," Chloe said. Max nodded. He left to check on her.

Chloe smiled and began talking to Poppy. Tears rolled down her cheeks but she was happy knowing her little girl had a chance of survival.

Max found Aubree. "What's wrong?" He asked.
"Arielle. I'm missing her," Aubree mumbled.
"It's okay to miss her. Your mum misses her too."
Aubree wiped her tears. " I should be happy that mummy's okay."

Chloe went back to her room and sat on the bed. She broke down crying. "Chloe. What's wrong?" Max asked.
"Nothing. I'm fine."
"It's Poppy isn't it?" Max asked. Chloe nodded and cried. Max held her tightly and kissed her head.

Aubree went to see Poppy. She seen nurses around her.
"What's happening?" Aubree asked.
"Your little sister has picked up well. We need to do tests on her," the midwife said. Aubree thanked her.
Chloe was cuddled up with Max. He held her close. "She'll be alright. I promise."
"Right."
Max sighed. "Baby. I know she'll be fine."

Aubree walked in. "Poppy's improving! The nurse told me."
"Oh," Chloe mumbled. She looked at Max. "You should go and see her."
"Up to you," Max said.
"Could you stay with me for another few minutes?" Chloe mumbled. Max grinned and nodded. He held her close. Aubree smiled at them.

When Chloe had a sleep and woke up again, they all decided to see Poppy. Poppy was in a normal cot now.
"She can go in your room now," the nurse told Chloe.
"Brilliant."
"We'll keep checks on her every hour," the nurse told her. Max wheeled Chloe down to the room. Poppy was in her arms. The nurse pushed the cot.
Chloe felt weird holding Poppy. She was terrified. "M-Max, you gotta take her."
"What. Why?"
"Please," Chloe begged.

Max took Poppy and Chloe wheeled herself back to her room. "Isn't she beautiful?" Max said.
"Yeah. Darling."
Max frowned and set Poppy in her cot. "She's like her mummy."
"Yeah," Chloe mumbled. She curled into a ball on the bed. Aubree pulled Max outside.
"Mummy has PPD. It's obvious," Aubree mumbled. Max nodded.
"Go home sweetie. Mummy should be allowed home with Poppy tonight," Max said. Aubree nodded. She hugged Max and went inside to say goodbye to her mum.