Chapter Twenty Three

Isla was in Edinburgh. She had found the old Waterloo Road school and was hiding there. She missed her mum and dad so much.

Since she arrived in Edinburgh, she hadn't left the building so she didn't know that everyone was out looking for her. It was cold in the school and Isla could feel herself getting severly ill.

Chloe hadn't slept. It was nearing the second anniversary of Jayden's death. He would have been nearly three. She needed Isla back home.

Isla knew that Taitlyn found Mike who was from Edinburgh. She thought that maybe she could find someone who loved her like Mike loved Taitlyn.

The police searched the place around the old Waterloo Road. A young police officer of nineteen went into the building and searched it. He came across Isla. She smiled at him.
"Hey sweetie," he said. "Are you Isla Tyler?"
"Yeah," she said.
"I'm Matthew and I'm going to bring you home," he said. Isla nodded and took his hand. He grabbed her stuff and walked her out. The police officers ran over. Isla got scared.
"It's okay sweetie," Matthew said. Isla nodded. "Let's get her home."
"I want you to come with me."
"I will honey. I sit in the back with you," he said. They walked over to one of the police cars.
"How old are you honey?"
"Thirteen. My parents don't miss me," Isla mumbled.
"I'm sure they do."

Chloe had gotten Jayden's baby blanket and held it close to her. Max saw and sighed. "You got that from his box?"
Chloe nodded. "Yeah. It still has his baby smell on," she mumbled. She stood up and got her jacket.
"Where are you going?"
"I need to spend some time with my baby boy," Chloe said.
"Isla is missing Chloe," Max said. Chloe walked on out as Aubree came over to Max.
"It's the police in Scotland. They found Isla and are bringing her home," Aubree said. Max ran out after Chloe to tell her.

Isla cuddled into Matthew. Isla smiled. She liked him.
"You okay?" Matthew asked. Isla nodded. Matthew wrapped a blanket around her and held her close to try to warm her up.

Chloe looked at Max. "Isla's coming home."
"R-Really?"
Max nodded. "Yes. The police called."

Chloe needed to see her baby boy. Even if it was just a headstone. "I-I promised Jayden I'd visit him everyday. I haven't though Max. I broke my promise," Chloe sobbed.

The police car pulled up outside the house. The front door opened and Chloe came out. "Come here you."
"I'm sorry mummy. I just wanted someone to notice me," Isla sobbed.
"I do sweetie," Chloe said. She held Isla. Isla began to cry.
"I wish Jayden was here," Isla sobbed. Chloe held her tighter.
"Me too."

Matthew got out of the car with Isla's stuff.
"Here you go sweetheart," he said. Isla smiled and hugged Matthew. He hugged her back.
"Please don't leave me," Isla said.
"I need to go back to Edinburgh. I'll check in on you soon."
Chloe looked at Matthew and smiled. "She likes you."
"Mum!"
"Sorry honey."

Isla was asleep in bed. Chloe and Max went to check on her. "She looks so peaceful sleeping there," Chloe mumbled.
"She does. Sort of like you."
"Funny aren't you? I need to talk with Charlotte. She's coming with me to visit Jayden this evening."
Max kissed Chloe. "We'll all go tomorrow when Isla is feeling more up to it."
"Deal," Chloe said with a smile. She went to see Charlotte.

Matthew couldn't stop thinking about Isla. He went back to his own little girl. He was a dad after his girlfriend walked out on him. He picked her up from the babysitter and looked around the house. She was only five months old.
"We're moving sweetie - to Rochdale," Matthew said. His little girl babbled and dribbled on him. Matthew smiled and called a moving lorry.

Mike had surgery to remove the lump. He was having chemo to make sure nothing cancerous remained. He came home from his first chemo and smiled at Luke. Taitlyn held baby Noah.
"The twins are sleeping but this little man was waiting on you," Taitlyn said. Mike held him tightly. He kissed Taitlyn.
*the next morning*

Charlotte arrived at Chloe and Max's. "Hey missy. You okay?" She asked Isla.
"I'm fine thank you. Just cold," Isla said. She looked at her dad. "Can I wear your jacket?"
"Just like your mum."

They arrived at the grave yard. Chloe held Jayden's blanket close to her. "It shouldn't be like this, Max. He should be at home with us and his sisters," she sobbed.
Chloe held Max tightly. Isla was feeling sick.
"Daddy I don't feel good," Isla said. Max held her close. They all left flowers on the grave and then went back home.

When they arrived home they saw someone moving in next door. Isla saw Matthew and smiled.
"Mummy look!" Isla said. Chloe smiled when she seen Matthew. He was pushing a pram. A little girl was asleep.
"Hello Isla," Matthew said. Isla looked at the little baby. "This is my little girl."
"Where's your girlfriend?" Chloe asked.
"She walked out on us a few weeks ago," Matthew mumbled. Isla collapsed.
Immediately, Chloe called an ambulance. Matthew was at Isla's side and got her into the recovery position.

The ambulance arrived and took Isla. Chloe and Max went with her while Charlotte looked after the other kids.

Arriving at the Hospital, Chloe noticed how there was a high presence of police officers. "What's going on?"
"An investigation to deaths of babies," Matthew said. Charlotte was minding his little girl.
"Oh my goodness," Chloe mumbled.

Isla was taken in and soon Chloe, Max and Matthew were brought in.
"Your daughter has pneumonia. We've given her pills and we have just finished the operation to remove fluid from her lungs. It's been successful. You can take her home later on tonight if she copes okay until then," the doctor said.
"Max, I need to get home to the other girls," Chloe said.
"Matthew needs to go to his little girl," Max said.
"Look, I'll collect my little Lucy and then bring her here. I'll look after Lucy and Isla. You two stay with your family," Matthew offered.
"Thanks."

Chloe and Max arrived home and Chloe went to Jayden's bedroom. It was one of the bedrooms that Chloe hadn't touched. She couldn't bare going in there.

Max watched as Chloe tried to stay strong. He felt his heart breaking for his wife. He got a phonecall from the police. He assumed it was about Isla.
Max answered the phonecall and heard everything. He was shocked. He went over to Chloe. "I've just had a phonecall. The police are investigating the deaths of children at the Hospital," Max said.
"What?"
Max nodded. "Yeah."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Chloe stood and answered it. It was the police with a two year old little boy.
"Who's this?" Chloe asked.
"Can we come in?" the officer asked. Chloe nodded and let them in.

All the girls came into the living room with Max and Chloe.
"Your son, we have investigated, didn't die. He was swapped at birth," the officer said. Chloe looked at the little boy and noticed how much he looked like Max. He had Chloe's eyes.
"That's my Jay?" Chloe asked. The police nodded. Jay put his arms out to Chloe.

Isla woke and smiled at Matthew.
"Hi," she said. Matthew smiled. Lucy had woken up and was looking at Isla. Isla smiled and Lucy giggled.  She liked Matthew but knew she could never be with him.
"She's adorable."
"Thanks. She's a terror though," Matthew said. He kissed Lucy's head. "I love her so much."
"I don't blame you. My sister lost her baby a couple of weeks ago," Isla said.
"I'm sorry."

Chloe held Jay close to her. She could see how scared he looked. Grace who was younger than Jayden, looked with intrest. "That?"
"This is your big brother honey."
"Yay!"
Max got the kids settled in bed. He walked into the bedroom to see Chloe and Jay in bed. Jayden had a dummy in. Jayden was playing with Chloe's hand. He was giggling.
"He loves you," Max said. Chloe smiled at Jay.
"He's my baby boy. They took him from me Max. Now we have him back," Chloe said. Max kissed her and played with Jay.

The phone rang and it was Matthew saying Isla could be picked up. Chloe went to pick her up with Jay. Max cooked some dinner for Isla.

Isla wanted to kiss Matthew but she always asked her mummy before doing anything. She was going to ask her when Chloe tucked her in bed.
"Hello mummy!" Isla said. Chloe hugged Isla tightly.
"Sweetie, there is something I need to tell you," Chloe said. She opened up the passenger door and Isla seen Jay. She knew it was him.
"Did someone take him mummy?" Isla asked.
"They swapped him at birth. The police brought him around earlier," Chloe said. Isla hugged her younger brother as he sat in his car seat. Matthew, Lucy and Isla sat in the back.

Chloe drove them home. Matthew went home with Lucy. "I'll see you around Isla."
"Okay."
Chloe watched as she got Jay from the car. "Sweetie, he's too old."
"Only six years," Isla argued.

Isla went up to bed with the help of Max. Chloe noticed that Jay had fallen asleep. "Can we have him in with us tonight?"
"Sure."
Chloe and Max fell asleep with their son between them.
*the next morning*
Chloe was taking the day off of work to help Jayden settle in. Rosie, Madison and Grace were staying with her. Chloe was glad that she and Max had bought a bigger house.

When Max had gone, Chloe walked upstairs to see her three youngest girls in bed their big brother. "Hey baby's."
"Muma!" Jayden said. He sat up and let Chloe pick him up.
Jayden tried to reach his dummy. Chloe picked it up and put it in his mouth. He smiled. Rosie crawled in her cot beside the bed. Chloe smiled at her.
"Right lets get you all breakfast," Chloe said. Madison and Grace toddled on down the stairs. Chloe carried Rosie and Jayden in both arms.

Chloe put Jayden in a high chair and put Rosie in one too. She gave her kids some toast and cut Jay's into little pieces. He ate them and giggled. Chloe smiled. She sat down and took off her top. She pulled down her bra and lifted Rosie. She began to feed her.

When all the kids were fed, she took them to the living room and put on children's TV.

The doorbell rang and Chloe opened it. It was Taitlyn, Mike, Luke, Noah and the twins.
"I didn't go in cause of Mike," Taitlyn said. Chloe smiled and let them in. Jayden had crawled out to Chloe. Chloe lifted him.
"He's gorgeous Chloe," Taitlyn said. Luke pouted up at Chloe.
"I still love you," Chloe said to Luke. Luke giggled and ran off.

They all sat in the living room while the kids played on the floor. Jayden was sitting with his teddy watching the TV. Chloe noticed Mike was wearing a hat.
"Mike you can take that off," Chloe said. Mike didn't look up.
"Chemo," Taitlyn said. Chloe realised that Mike's hair was falling out.
"I'm sorry," Chloe said. Mike took off the hat and Chloe seen a lot of bald patches. "So it was cancerous?"
"Yeah," Mike mumbled.
"Sorry."
Isla came in and smiled at her little brother and sisters. "Morning honey."
"Morning."

Isla sat with her mum while Jayden toddled around. "I can't believe someone swapped him at birth."
"I know," Chloe mumbled. She looked at Jayden. "Its lucky that the other people who raised him named him Jayden."
"No panties!" Grace squealed.
Grace ran around with her pants in her hand. Mike chuckled.
"Grace put your pee pee away," Chloe said. Grace pouted and sat on the floor. She started to cry and Chloe noticed she peed herself.
"It's okay sweetie," Chloe said. She took Grace to get her cleaned up. Taitlyn cleaned and disinfected the wooden floor. Luke giggled and took off his pants.
"No Lukey," Mike said. He put Luke's pants back on.

Chloe got Grace cleaned up and brought her back in. Chloe thanked Taitlyn. Taitlyn kissed Mike's cheek and stroked his hair. A huge clump came out in her hand. Mike tried not to cry.
"It's okay sweetie," Taitlyn said. Chloe looked at them.
"Tails, could you help me in the kitchen get snacks?" Chloe asked.

Taitlyn and Chloe went to the kitchen.
"How bad is it?" Chloe asked.
"Mike's cancer?" Taitlyn asked. Chloe nodded. "He's suffering mentally. He cries most of the time especially now with the hair loss. They've given him two months."
"Two months of chemo?" Chloe asked. Taitlyn looked at her with tears streaming down her face.
"Two months to live Coco," Taitlyn said.
Chloe was shocked. She looked at Jayden. "I got my baby back but you're losing your babe."
"Its not fair!"
"Life isn't fair. Nothing is ever fair," Chloe said.

Max had gotten a phonecall saying that Scarlett had gotten ill in Nursery. He told Tom he was going to pick her up.

When Max arrived at Scarlett's nursery, he saw that she looked incredibly ill and pale. "She's hardly moved all day and she's not eating."
Max realised the cancer was back. He rushed her to hospital and they hooked her up. Max called Chloe and Charlotte as Charlotte was a donor.

They arrived at the hospital. Chloe was in hysterics. Charlotte held her and so did Max.
"They say other parts are failing now. She needs a new kidney," Max said.
"But I gave her one!" Charlotte yelled. Charlotte felt like it was her fault. She ran off.

Charlotte went over to Scarlett's doctor.
"I'm the match for Scarlett, I want you to remove my kidney," Charlotte said.
"You only have one left. Without it you'll die," the doctor said. Charlotte glared at him. He sighed and signed the form. Charlotte went straight down to surgery.

The doctor came in to Scarlett. They put her to sleep.
"What's happening?" Chloe asked.
"We found a kidney for her," the doctor said. They took Scarlett down to save her. She would need a small amount of chemo after the kidney transplant.

During the surgery the doctor came in.
"Surgery is going fine. Your donor was Charlotte Clarkson," the doctor said.
"But she's going to die!" Max yelled.
"She insisted. She left you two this note."

"Dear Max and Chloe, I hope you realise that I did this for Scarlett and for you two. Scarlett doesn't deserve this.
Tell Tom what happened. Be there for Taitlyn as I know she's struggling with Mike and now this. I'm so sorry.
I love you all forever and always,
Charlotte."
Chloe burst out crying and Max rang Taitlyn and Tom.

Scarlett was wheeled back in. She was awake and giggling. She looked a lot healthier.
"Mummy!" Scarlett said. They ran to her side.

Tom ran in with the kids. Taitlyn wasn't with him but all of Max and Chloe's kids were. Taitlyn's kids too.
"Where's Mike and Taitlyn?" Max asked.
"Mike took really ill. An ambulance was called," Tom said.

Charlotte woke up with a pain in her back.
"Damn," she mumbled. She shot up when she realised she was alive.
"Lucky we weren't going to let you die. Actually, Chloe Tyler threatened to cut off my balls if I didn't find a kidney for you. So, we did. Both you and Scarlett are healthy," the doctor said.
Chloe walked in. "He's a lying jerk! Scarlett is still ill!"
"Coco?"
Chloe looked at Charlotte. "He gave Scarlett the kidney but she's still unwell. Another doctor said that she needs chemo to live."
"Hasn't the transplant worked?" Charlotte asked.
"Yeah. The cancer is still there however. She's still ill."

Max walked in. "Scarlett's started her chemo."
"Is she okay?"
"Yeah. Still giggling away," Max said. Chloe smiled. Charlotte sighed and laid down on the bed.
"Where's Tails?" Charlotte asked.
"In the room down the corridor with Mike. They think we have to say our last goodbyes soon," Tom mumbled.
"But they were meant to be getting married!" Charlotte said. Chloe held Charlotte tightly.

Taitlyn sat with Mike. He was pale and weak.
"I'm sorry," Mike said.
"Shh baby," Taitlyn said. Tears rolled down her cheeks.
"Put my body out for when you invite other men around. I want to scare them off," Mike said. Taitlyn cried more.
"Don't say stuff like that!" Taitlyn said. She didn't want Mike to leave her.
Chloe walked out. She was sick of Hospitals. She went to get her kids from the nursery and after telling Scarlett she would be back soon, she left.

Max went to find Chloe. She wasn't in Scarlett's room. "Where's mummy?"
"Gone."
Max sighed and looked at his poorly daughter. "You're not lying are you?"
"No. Daddy this hurts."

Chloe had booked into a Hotel with her kids. She didn't want to be at the house. She had turned her phone off to stop people calling her.

Mike was asking for Chloe. Taitlyn asked Tom.
"She's gone," Tom said. He tried to ring her but she wouldn't answer. Mike handed Taitlyn letters.
"Give them out once I'm gone," Mike said. Taitlyn was pregnant again and couldn't do without Mike.
"Mike I'm pregnant again," she said. Mike smiled.
"Tell the little one about me."
Luke began crying. Tom took the kids out after they said goodbye.

Taitlyn and Mike kissed passionately before she also had to leave the room. The doctors closed the blinds and the door.

Taitlyn ran to the nearest building which was the hotel. She ran up all the stairs and got to the roof. Chloe heard to commotion of people screaming. She took the kids out of the room and walked them outside. Taitlyn was on the roof. Chloe wanted to go to her but didn't. Tom ran over.
"Chloe go to her. She won't listen to me," Tom said. He held Chloe's kids.

Taitlyn was a mess on the roof. Chloe ran to her.
"Sweetie it's okay," Chloe said.
"I can't live without Mike. I don't want to live without him," Taitlyn sobbed. Chloe held her and brought her down. They all held her tightly. Tom got a call from the hospital.
"Chloe, Scarlett's crying for you. Taitlyn, the doctors need to talk to you."

They both went over to the hospital again and went to the rooms. Taitlyn walked in and saw Mike smiling.
"What?" Taitlyn asked.
"It's a miracle. The cancer is starting to go. Mike was extremely sick because of the chemicals from the chemo. We've put him on another dose of chemo before you can take him home again," the doctor said.

Chloe sat with Scarlett. She hated the fact she ran away from her. Max sat with his kids. Jayden was trying to talk to Scarlett. He gave her his teddy. "I love my brother mummy," Scarlett said.
"He loves you too babes."
Scarlett looked at Jayden and giggled. Jayden handed Chloe his teddy and cuddled into Scarlett. Chloe looked at her kids and she smiled. She finally had a complete family and she hoped that nothing would ever change.