━ three: volte-face

CHAPTER THREE

VOLTE-FACE

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     IT HAD TAKEN less than two minutes for Briar to step out of the train — having woken up Ginny and made sure that she had found her friends — and for the twins to rush up to her. As they greeted her, they linked arms with her, and she felt surprisingly confused, rather than relieved that she wasn't getting an earful about how she hadn't returned to them, after the train stopped.

     "Your dad found us," said Fred.

     George said, "Did Harry faint?"

     Fred shook his head. "Of course he did, Georgie."

     "Well, he is a magnet," said George.

     Briar rolled her eyes. "A Dementor came into the compartment door," she said. A smile appeared on her face. "Dad got it away, though."

     "That's the best employment decision they've made in a while," said Lee, whom had walked up to them, after speaking to Angelina Johnson. Angelina smiled at Briar, and Briar smiled at Angelina, and Briar nudged Fred, to make him smile at her. Fred looked down at Briar and glared. Briar smiled up at him. "I'm pretty sure he bought chocolate off of the trolley just to give to us."

     To her side, Briar saw Livvy walking next to Draco Malfoy. Briar let out a sigh, and unlinked her arms from the twins, and muttered, "I'll meet you in school, I need to speak to Livvy."

     The instant that she walked up to Livvy, Draco looked smug. Briar ignored him, glancing at her brother. "Are you alright, Livvy?" she asked. Livvy nodded, and Briar felt even more relieved. "Did the Dementor even get to that part of the train?"

     "Yeah, but it wasn't that bad," said Livvy. "Are you okay?"

     "Yeah, I'm fine. I went to check on Dad when he happened, and he was in the same compartment as Harry," said Briar. Livvy nodded along. "The Dementor went into ours. I think Harry might've fainted, but I don't blame him—"

     "Potter fainted?" asked Draco.

     Briar raised her eyebrows. "Why are you even here?" she said. "You're like, a snotty version of Darth Vader. Like, if his grandson took over."

     Draco ignored that. Livvy snorted at the mention of Star Wars. She was about to grab Livvy's arm and usher him away from Draco, so they could continue the conversation without Draco earwigging, but Draco had already spotted Harry, Ron, and Hermione.