━ nine: directly from manufacturers

CHAPTER NINE

DIRECTLY FROM MANUFACTURERS

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     IN ALL HONESTY, Briar would've slept through the commotion and the scream that had begun it, if she didn't remember that her godfather was illegally hiding in one of the hidden rooms in the school and that she was looking after him, even if he wouldn't admit the fact that he was relying on a fifteen-year-old to give him food.

     It hadn't been until that realisation that Briar jumped to her feet, regretting choosing the socks that weren't as thick as her other pairs, and followed the other three girls towards the staircase. Briar initially planned to stand next to Hermione, to check on her but thought that Hermione was probably just as suspicious as Harry, and therefore decided against it. She stayed beside Alicia, pulling the sleeves of her hoodie over her hands to keep warm.

     "Who shouted?"

     "What're you doing?"

     "Are you sure you weren't dreaming, Ron?"

     "I'm telling you, I saw him!"

     "What's all the noise?"

     "Professor McGonagall told us all to go to bed!"

     Briar glanced towards the other staircase, where just as many of the boys were looking to see what had happened. The common room, dimly lit by lights held by students in both staircases, was still somewhat messy from the Quidditch celebration party earlier that day. She rolled her eyes as Fred said, "Excellent, are we carrying on?"

     "For the love of Christ," said Briar under her breath. Loudly and clearly, she questioned, "Can someone explain why someone screamed so that I can go back to sleep?"

     "That's a good point," said Fred.

     George scoffed. "She's a nightmare when she's tired."

     "Coming from you two!" said Briar, looking offended. "Neither of you can talk! You're like the dead bird a cat drags in when you're tired—"

     From the bottom of the staircase, Percy Weasley appeared, after pushing through the crowd of boys in pyjamas. As he walked, he pinned his head boy badge onto his pyjamas. Briar heard the twins and Ginny snort. "Everyone back upstairs!" said Percy.

     "Perce!" said Ron. "Sirius Black! In our dormitory! With a knife! Woke me up!"

     Everyone went quiet. Briar bit onto her tongue, to hold back the series of comments on the possibility of Sirius Black, the idiot that used to act like the Lupin-Crouch family Labrador, holding a knife to anyone's neck, with the exception of Peter.