━ thirty-four: on your mark, get set

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

ON YOUR MARK, GET SET

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     BRIAR'S SO-CALLED "special room" had been told to those at the meeting at the weekend. By dinner, Briar had already snuck off, taking in the last hour or so of having a place in school where she could hide without anyone where she had disappeared off to.

     When she stepped in, the room had changed, expanding drastically and filling with classroom staple pieces. Harry, Ron, and Hermione appeared first. Briar looked up from shuffling her pack of tarot cards, where they were looking around in wonder. "It used to be the size of a small apartment," she explained. "Maybe it was just sectioned off, or something, I don't know."

     "It's bloody brilliant," exhaled Ron. He and Hermione were looking around excitedly. Harry was awkwardly standing around, probably nervous about having to teach a lot of students. "These will be good when we're practising Stunning..."

     "And just looks at these books!" exclaimed Hermione. "A Compendium of Common Curses and their Counter-Actions... The Dark Arts Outsmarted... Self-Defensive Spellwork... wow... Harry, this is wonderful, there's everything we need here!"

     Briar gestured for Harry to sit next to her. "Pick a card," she said. Harry looked at her in disbelief. "C'mon. It relieves stress. Why'd you think I'm so good at shuffling cards?"

     Harry frowned, and lazily moved his hand across the cards, picking up one. Briar looked displeased. All she was doing was trying to help. She picked up the card, being careful not to show it to him. Her eyebrow rose at the card. He picked fucking Death. This was why people were advised to be careful about the card they chose, or else it didn't goddamn work.

     He was looking at her. Briar lied, "Oh, wow! You got the best card! Good fortune's in your path." Harry raised his eyebrows. Briar sent him a look. "Okay. You're going to be great. I'm not saying that as an assumption, the cards and this thing says so." She gestured to her Inner Eye, being careful not to touch her skin and wipe away the makeup. "You're going to be a great teacher, and it's going to be really beneficial later on. Also. You get a kiss. I think you know who from. Congrats, kid."

     Someone knocked on the door. Briar slid the card away before anyone could see it, and packed her tarot cards away, storing them neatly to the side of the room. Dean, Ginny, Neville, Lavender, and Parvati appeared.

     "Whoa. What is this place?"

     The explanation was repeated a few times, finishing a couple seconds before the next batch of teenagers arrived. Briar and Livvy stood to the side of the room, next to Ginny. "So this was where you hid Sirius?" said Livvy. Briar nodded, feeling smug. "This is fantastic. What else d'you think it's turned into?"