━ eight: a wartime ago

CHAPTER EIGHT

A WARTIME AGO

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     BRIAR ENDED UP finding Harry close to the secret passageway into Hogsmeade through Honeydukes and was close to giving up the search for him when she finally found him. She walked up to him and smiled politely, as he tucked away the Marauder's Map. The sense of pride she felt for her parents being who they were was elevated by the sight of it.

     "I'm guessing you like it, then," said Briar. Harry nodded, walking next to her, as she turned around to walk back to the common room. "We've gotten a pretty good use out of it, too. I could probably get my way around this school without being seen because of that beauty."

     Somewhat accusingly, Harry said, "Could you?"

     Briar frowned. "That is what I just said. Yes."

     Harry nodded. He continued to look at her suspiciously, and Briar sped up her pace as they passed the hallway where the Room of Requirement hid. "I overheard McGonagall talking to Madam Rosmerta, and Hagrid, and Flitwick, and Fudge—"

     "Fudge was there?" said Briar. "Did the room reek of misogyny afterwards? My mum's always said that the Ministry smells like that. That was why the stench rubbed off onto her parents. My grandparents. Not that I'd call them my grandparents, anyway."

     He looked confused by the statement, and Briar didn't know if she had to explain the definition of misogyny, or if she had to explain the Ministry and all of the reasons why it was so awful.

     "No, but they mentioned you," said Harry.

     Briar frowned. "If I'm getting arrested for anything, it was probably something Fred or George did when I was next to them," she said. "Who'd you think saw the map?" Then, more to herself than Harry, said, "Although, I did suggest stealing the thing... I had a reason why, but..."

     "They said that Sirius Black is your godfather and that he's also mine," said Harry. Briar nodded along. She went to open her mouth and explain the ordeal, figuring it was best Harry knew about the Marauders, but he was already talking again. "Your mum was with him right before he went to kill Pettigrew?"

     Briar raised her eyebrows and laughed. Kill Pettigrew.

     "Yeah, he went to visit, but—"

     Harry asked, "Did your mum know what he was going to do? Did Crouch know that he was going to cause my mum and dad's deaths, and Pettigrew's?"