━ forty-five: what a merry christmas

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

WHAT A MERRY CHRISTMAS

✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪

     WHEN CHRISTMAS ROLLED around, Briar's excitement towards returning to her old school had reached an obstreperous amount. Her bedroom at home had a box dedicated solely to new Divination objects, lesson plans had been done and covered the next two school years, random office-related items had been purchased "just in case..."

     A special part of her wardrobe had also been sectioned off, with clothes that she thought would look cute but badass work attire. (It became very apparent very quickly that her only jobs had been at a leisure centre in the height of the summer, and a café for a couple weeks.)

     One problem, though, was that towards the start of December, Molly had overheard Briar telling Fleur that Livvy was staying with Draco over Christmas, and Laurel was going to take Teddy to visit Aster, whilst Remus dealt with the full moon. And, of course, Molly insisted that Briar spent the holidays with them, rather than herself. Briar didn't mind much. She had been interested to see how she could spend Christmas Day on her own, but it was probably for the best that she was never going to experience that. Her version of a lonely Christmas would probably be eating broccoli and watching Home Alone.

     Because of that, Molly had also invited Remus (something that Briar was pleased about, even if she felt wary, considering the moon's image throughout the holiday). And, also, much to Briar's insistence that she could easily sleep on the floor in the twins' room, she was being cleared into Ginny's bedroom along with Fleur.

     (Although, Briar couldn't blame Molly, considering, when Briar had said, "No, honestly, I'm fine with a sleeping bag on the floor in Fred and George's room," across the room, Fred had called, "Yeah, Mum, I thought you wanted grandchildren!") (And Briar had said, "Um, not with George in the room.") (Which ultimately resulted in Molly looked irritated and stating, "No, Briar, dear, you can stay in Ginny's room.")

     When Harry, Ron, and Ginny returned from school, Briar had been at the Burrow helping Fleur out with wedding preparations. Her jumper had been rolled up, and the bloodquill scars had been on show, along with the healing scratches from Greyback. The four had greeted Fleur and Briar, and Ginny had let out, "Briar, what did you do?"

     "Someone tipped Greyback off that I was helping the Order," Briar shrugged. "I mean, at least this wound isn't the prediction of Sirius' death?" Or my own, or Dad's, or Fred's, or fucking Voldemort

     Harry had let out an odd noise. Briar had frowned, whereas Fleur had given him the dirtiest of looks, until Briar frowned at her. The two girls had then returned to planning the seating arrangements.