━ twenty-six: in distress

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

IN DISTRESS

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ 

     BOXING DAY HAD BEEN spent quietly, with Fred, George, and Briar purposefully sitting in a certain order so that their jumpers could spell out BFG. Briar had suggested it and had to explain who the BFG was, which resulted in the day being spent with the three sitting around, with Briar reading The BFG to them.

     Towards the middle of January, it had become apparent to the majority of the school that Briar and Cedric had never been a proper thing, considering the amount of times Cedric and Cho had been seen talking (and kissing) around school. Briar and Fred, on the other hand, were somewhat more secretive, only that had to do with the fact that both knew the insides of the school like the back of the hand, and one of them was capable of predicting the future.

     On the first Hogsmeade trip of the year, the three had been abandoned by Lee, and decided that their joint refusal to spend much money meant that they either spend the afternoon in The Three Broomsticks, or they stay in the common room. And, since they spent all of the holidays in the common room, they figured it was best to just sit in the corner of a sticky pub.

     The height of British culture.

     They got into the place, with Briar immediately spotting Fleur and a couple Beauxbatons students at one of the tables, and the twins immediately noticing Ludo Bagman next to Harry at the bar. Fred and George quickly strolled up to them. Shoving her hands into her parka's pockets, she followed them.

     "Hello, Mr Bagman," said Fred. Briar rolled her eyes at him. She glanced at Harry and smiled at him. "Can we buy you a drink?"

     "By that, he means himself and George," said Briar.

     Bagman looked at her. "Nice to see you, Crouch..." he mumbled. Briar raised her eyebrows. "Er, no — no, thank you, boys..."

     The happiness on Fred and George's faces disintegrated. Briar patted their shoulders. She would've gone, there, there, but she felt like the company wasn't right to say it. "Well, I must dash," continued Bagman. "Nice seeing you all. Good luck, Harry."

     Bagman left the pub. Fred, George, and Briar shared looks. As they did so, Harry went to hurry back to Ron and Hermione with three Butterbeers. Briar frowned. She looked at Fred and George. "Okay, I'm offended," she declared. "Who gives him the right to call me Crouch?"

     "That's your mum's surname," said George.

     Fred nodded. "It makes sense."

     "Yeah, but that means he's associating me with my grandad—"