━ seventeen: sharp eyes, curt voice

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

SHARP EYES, CURT VOICE

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     THEY WERE WOKEN UP early so that they could get to the campsite just as early. Briar didn't mind about that, considering she tended to wake up early anyway. And, since Briar was already awake, Briar was already ready by the time that Hermione and Ginny were woken up by Molly, happily sitting on her bed, reading a book about astrology.

     By the time that the other two girls were ready, Briar had read a good hundred pages of the book, which she wasn't bothered about. They got down the stairs, where everyone but the three eldest siblings was standing and sitting around the kitchen table.

     Ginny said, "Why do we have to be up so early?"

     Briar crossed her arms, standing beside Livvy, who looked like he needed another year of sleep. "We've got a bit of a walk," said Arthur. To her side, Livvy cut short his yawn, startled at the idea.

     "Walk?" said Harry. "What, are we walking to the World Cup?"

     "No, no, that's miles away," said Arthur. Livvy resumed his yawn. "We only need to walk a short way. It's just that it's very difficult for a large number of wizards to congregate without attracting muggle attention. We have to be very careful about how we travel at the best of times, and on a huge occasion like the Quidditch World Cup..."

     "George!"

     Livvy had been using the top of Briar's head as a pillow and shot upright upon hearing Molly snap. George, in the most innocent voice he could muster, said, "What?"

     "What is that in your pocket?"

     George said, "Nothing!"

     "Don't you lie to me!" she snapped. Molly took hold of her wand. "Accio!"

     A number of joke items were pulled out of George's pocket. Briar covered her face with her hand. He tried to catch some of them, but Molly already had them. "We told you to destroy them!" said Molly. "We told you to get rid of the lot! Empty your pockets, go on, both of you!"

     Fred and George exchanged a look with each other, then their mother, then each other, then — fleetingly — Briar, and then, as they glanced at each other again, their mother was already using the summoning charm to find all of the toffees that they had hidden.

     "We spent six months developing those!"

     "Oh, a fine way to spend six months! No wonder you didn't get more O.W.L.s!"