━ twenty-two: primadonna syndrome

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

PRIMADONNA SYNDROME

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ 

     BRIAR STILL FELT helpless, even as the days went on and her brother seemed to be taking the whole tournament in his stride, the more he got used to it. Briar knew Livvy, and she knew that he didn't like being looked at judgingly, especially if it was for something he didn't actually do. But, Briar figured that one of his friends had given him some words of encouragement on a daily basis, because the more the days went on, the more Livvy pushed back his foul-mouthed nonchalance to make way for the charisma he liked to bury.

     Livvy, for a reason Briar couldn't grasp, was surprisingly very charming. Like, when Briar was talking to him at morning break, he had two of the boys from Durmstrang greet him as they passed. Livvy had grinned at Briar, and said, "No one knows I'm hiding my fear with charm. It's better to seduce the boys than cry in fear."

     Once he said that it made more sense. Her brother could be charismatic when he wanted, but the sudden switch from cheerful moodiness to Prince fucking Charming was odd. In fact, it was unbelievable. Briar had to blink a couple of times when she saw her brother the day after the goblet released his name, and he was walking around like a new person.

     But, whilst Livvy was coping with the nervousness, Briar was not. Briar had been spending every night after school sitting next to a crystal ball in her dorm room, with every item that was said to heighten psychic abilities. A moonstone, amethyst, and an emerald sat around the crystal ball. Cinnamon was being burned. If she had anything else, she would've used it, but her options were small, and the other girls would get pissed off if they walked into their room and found it smelt like a part-time flower shop, part-time drug dealers. So, it was just cinnamon. They were celebrating Christmas early!

     However, all Briar could see was a ball decorated with icy blue ornaments. And, at moments, a graveyard with an eerie-looking gravestone, but that was only seen in the sliver of seconds before and after she blinked. So, she saw them, but not quite.

     In her opinion, the tournament was taking its time to kick off. But, Briar thought that was because she just wanted to get the whole year over a done with, like ripping a plaster off as quickly as she could. She sat in every lesson, glancing at her watch constantly, not because she wanted the lesson to be over, but because she wanted the year to be over.

     Briar was used to the visions because she couldn't remember a time that she didn't have them, but she wasn't used to the waiting for the events to occur.