━ thirty-seven: moony junior

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

MOONY JUNIOR

  ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪  

     IT SEEMED THAT BRIAR wasn't aware of every single scar that she had been given; when the school discovered that prisoners had escaped from Azkaban, Briar felt her upper thigh itch and realised that she had a scar of the prison's outline. But — with the exception of her back stinging every time that she saw someone that was going to die on May the second, 1998, and her skin hurting every time she recalled a vision she must've gotten during her sleep — she was fine. Really, her visions and predictions had heightened since the end of the bloodquill problem.

     Aster, when the news hit the papers about the escaped prisoners, panicked more than anyone related to the wizards, or the victims of them. A week afterwards, Aster resigned, explaining to anyone that asked, "My parents have been involved in a horrible accident whilst on vacation in Belgium, and I promised that I'd help them recover so that they can return to their home in America safely."

     His fake Brooklyn accent had thickened since the last term. Livvy and Briar, on the night before he left, gave him a hug. He said that their parents and Order were already aware, and his plan was to travel back to Brooklyn, but use muggle facilities to acquire an apartment elsewhere.

     "It's a shame," he had told them. "I loved the place I had in New York. It wasn't the biggest, but the neighbours worked out of the city often, so I'd often look after their pets — they had this lovely Dalmatian and Poodle..."

     Before they left, Aster had given them another hug, and told them, "If it gets any more dangerous, I'm happy for you to live with me in America. I've been thinking about Chicago. Maybe Boston, I'll let Laurel know once I've decided... But, anyway. I'm presumed dead. I need to leave before they recognised me. However, I've hidden from them more than once. I can keep you hidden if you need it."

     Livvy looked like he was seriously considering it. Briar thanked it for the offer but felt too attached to what she had already decided to abandon ship.

     When Aster left, both of them hid their sadness. They liked Aster. It was a shame, though, that he had faked his death so many times that he'd be killed on the spot by anyone sporting a Dark Mark.

     Briar was better, which relieved Lee when he was informed on the train back to school. For that reason, Briar had declared that enough time had been wasted dying and that she was going to bring hell to Umbridge. The bottle that stopped the bloodquills from killing Seers — or anyone else that could die from it, like werewolves and Veelas — had been charmed by Laurel to constantly refill. Therefore, every time that Umbridge gave Briar a detention, Briar snuck one of the pills onto her tongue at the start of it, which stopped the bloodquills from hurting her like they had done before.