━ thirteen: time and its circularity

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

TIME AND ITS CIRCULARITY

    ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪ ✪    

     BRIAR WOKE UP with a start. The speed that she sat upright caused the dizziness to hit again. She saw that Madam Pomfrey had left a bucket next to the bed, as she always did with her, and leaned over the bed, pulling her hair backwards. Usually, when she threw up, she ended up with tears blinding her vision as well, and that was no exception.

     "Ah, you're awake!"

     Madam Pomfrey was speaking to Harry and Hermione, handing them chocolate slabs. Briar felt like throwing up at just the sight of food. As she sat upright, wiping her cheeks from the tears, and pulling her back into a proper ponytail, Madam Pomfrey began to walk over to her. Briar felt somewhat thankful that visions made her vomit so often that she always wore a hair bobble around her wrist. At least it was there in these situations.

     In unison, Harry and Hermione asked, "How's Ron?"

     "He'll live," said Madam Pomfrey. She gave Briar a glass of water, which she sipped, knowing that if she drank as much as she wanted to, she'd throw up again. "As for you two, you'll be staying here until I'm satisfied you're — Briar, dear, have a tissue, you need to clean around your mouth, just in case there's any sick left."

     Briar grimaced as she cleaned her mouth and chin. She felt like a five-year-old stuck with the patronising lunch lady after getting a small graze on her knee.

     "How are you, dear?" said Madam Pomfrey. "It's a good thing you were with your mother — she said that she needed to check on Livius, but I told her to get some rest, the poor thing. She looked exhausted — Potter, what do you think you're doing?"

     Harry had been getting himself together. He said, "I need to see the headmaster."

     Madam Pomfrey said, "Harry, it's all right. They've got Black. He's locked away upstairs." As she said that, Briar swivelled her legs around to the side of the bed not inhabited by the sick bucket, and put her shoes back on. "The Dementors will be performing the kiss any moment now—"

     "WHAT?"

     Harry and Hermione had both jumped out of their beds; Briar had stood up, and was fixing her ponytail in the window's reflection. Fudge and Snape burst into the room immediately after Harry shouted. Briar grumbled to herself.

     "Harry, Harry, what's this?" said Fudge. "You should be in bed — has he had any chocolate?"

     "Minister, listen!" said Harry. Briar burst into laughter. In what world would the bloody Minister actually be useful to anyone that wasn't a straight, white male? "Sirius Black's innocent! Peter Pettigrew faked his own death! We saw him tonight! You can't let the Dementors do that thing to Sirius, he's—"