11

After a few hours, I finished the book and the painkillers were starting to wear off.

It started to hurt considerably more than it had before.

Bucky had come back into the room and hour previous and was talking with Steve.

Bruce walked in looking down at his tablet.

He glanced up at me and noticed my expression, "Did the painkillers wear off? They shouldn't have worn off for another few hours,".

Steve turned around, seeming to just notice my expression.

He shot me a disapproving look, "You should have told me," he scolded.

Bucky looked at Steve amused, but said nothing.

Bruce walked over to a cabinet and pulled out a plastic bag, hooking it up to the IV I already had.

"This should keep you going for the rest of the day. Tell us next time it wears off, it'll save you some pain,".

I nodded and felt drowsy as the painkillers started to set in. I could feel my eyelids trying to fall, but I wouldn't let them.

Steve noticed, "You can sleep Ashlyn, it'll help you heal,".

I didn't want to sleep, especially with Steve watching me what seemed like 24/7, but I needed it. I could feel how much I needed it.

I sighed and felt my eyes finally close as I let sleep overcome me.
.
.
.
I opened my eyes, but I could tell I was still sleeping.

The fact that my inner wolf was standing in front of me with a disapproving glare confirmed it.

I was in a beautiful forest and there was a waterfall gushing water nearby.

The thing that I loved about being asleep and dreaming, was that I could hear.

"You show such weakness in front of them!" My wolf all but spat at me.

"It's not like I have a choice, besides they're helping us. Giving us food, shelter, water, warmth. We should be grateful,".

She shook her head and snarled, "But they will want something in return Ashlyn! Nothing this good comes for free! And it won't last forever,".

I shook my head, "I know, I know, but what if this time it's different? What if they actually want us around?"

She shook her massive head, "Those are both huge ifs, if this goes downhill I'm not sure I'll be able to save you,".

I nodded again, "I know, let's just see how this goes," I pleaded with her.