chapter 8

His death

"Amanda come on we're going on in two minutes!" Drake whines.
"You didn't tell me we were going to sing tonight!"
"Its karaoke Amanda come on." He said holding his hand out for me. I sigh and grab it.
"Give a round of applause for nick!" The announcer said.
"And now let's hear from Drake and Amanda!"
The audience in the club clapped as we walked on the stage.
Drake handed me a mic as the music of save a life from the fray started. As I sang I looked at the audience relieved that I didn't recognize anyone from school.

When the song ended I ran off stage handing the crew man the mic.
"That was amazing!!" Drake screamed.
I smiled" I know!"
He gave me hug.
We walked over to the guys sitting at our table.
"That was awesome guys!" Phoenix said before taking a bite out of his burger.
"Hey you guys want a drink?" Drake asked
They all stood up offerings to go with him.
"You OK until we get back?" Ryder asked.
"Yeah just get me beer."
"Sure thing."

I started playing with a napkin.
"Now that's just wrong. A beautiful girl like you sitting all alone!"
I looked behind me, the man smiled.
I smiled back.
He sat next to me and looked up at the stage where a man sang.
"Hi." I said looking at the man.
He jumped and looked at me.
"You can see me?!"
What?
"Uh yeah."
He grinned, turning towards me leaning his head on his hand.
"Cool."
"What?"
"No one can see me but you. It's so weird!"
"What do you mean no one can see you but me??"
"Here's your beer!" Ryder said placing it in front of me."who are you talking to?"
I look over the man smiled "see."
"Amanda?" Drake said sounding concerned "you OK?"
I smiled "yeah I'm fine."
I looked over at the man but he was gone.
I'm going nuts!

"Hey do you want to go somewhere with me?" Drake asked.
"Yeah why not."
He smiled grabbing my hand. He opened the car door for me and walked around the car to the drivers set.
"Your gonna love it."

He parked the car in a field. I smiled as he walked over to my side, opening the door for me.
"Such a gentleman." I said.
His only response was a light pink covering his cheeks.
He got on the hood laying back,propping his arms behind his head. Following him I laid next to him. I was in awe as I saw the stars above me.
"Its beautiful!"
"I told you you'd love it."
After a long period of silence Drake spoke "Amanda can I ask you a question?"
"Anything."
"How'd your brother die..."
I bit my lip.
He shook his head " I'm sorry that was stupid of me its none of my business."
"No its fine, really. Uh...he..hung himself." I sighed "I always thought it was my fault. The night he killed himself he came into my room. I was awake, my parents were arguing in the other room. Screaming about how chase wasn't responsible anymore, that his drug problem needed to stop. My brother was a good person, a great brother! He came over to my bed, sat down and sung me a song to help me sleep. He kissed my forehead, said he loved me and started to leave. I asked him where he was going. He said he need some fresh air. So I smiled and after he left I ran to my window to see him. I was so happy when I saw the rope in his hands. I thought he was making the tire swing he promised me. But then I saw he had no tire. He swung the rope around a branch of our favorite oak tree in the backyard.... And I watched." I wiped at the tears streaming down my face."I ran out there and grabbed his hand. I was so scared. I sat next to the tree ,holding his hand and cried myself to sleep. In the morning my dad woke me up. I could hear my mother screaming by the house. I screamed and kicked as he dragged me away from my older brother, I didn't want to leave him..... My dad took me in the house and locked me in my room...."
Drake sits up and grabs my hand"Its not your fault Amanda, you didn't cause it."
I sat up, looking him in his eyes "I could have stopped him, I could've ask him for one more song or for something else that would have made him stay."
He looked down at out hands
"He would still have the thought in his mind."
"You don't know that." I insist
"Yes I do."