Birthday Boy

Hunter's P.O.V

I woke up relatively early the next day. At least early for me. I looked to the clock to see it read 8:30 A.M. and I groaned softly. I turned over to come face-to-face with Daddy. His eyes were closed with his mouth open slightly, snoring. I stared at him slightly and smiled, putting my hand on his cheek softly. I felt his arms wrap around me tight and I closed my eyes happily. I opened my eyes to see him looking around grumpily before laying his head back against my chest groaning softly.

I giggle and he smacks my butt slightly, causing me to squeal. I pouted at him and he looked up and smiled at me innocently. He kissed me softly before sitting up. I whimpered softly and he smiled, pulling me on his lap. "We're going out today, baby boy." I rubbed my eyes and leaned against his chest.

"Why?" I ask as he sets me on my feet. "Just because." He says as he pulls me into the bathroom. I whine childishly and drag my feet as he tells me I need a bath. "But I don't wanna." I say as I plop down onto the carpet stubbornly. He chuckles and picks me up, throwing me over his shoulder. I feel my face heat up involuntarily as I get embarrassed.

We come to the bathroom and he sets me on my feet before turning towards the bath. I back away slowly before darting out of the bathroom giggling. I hear his footsteps follow after me as I jump on the banister and ride to the bottom. I run to the front door and open it to find a bunch of people there. Tim, Ken, Maw, Paw, and a few other people I didn't know. I turn my head as I hear Daddy coming and I scream playfully, running outside only to come face-to-chest with Paw. I back up and look down, shaking slightly. Uh-oh. Daddy comes outside and picks me up, welcoming everyone in.

I hide in his chest as Paw walks past, the room in an awkward silence. I turn back to the room and rest my head on his shoulder slowly. I half listen as they talk, not really paying attention. Until I hear someone say something about a birthday. I tune in and look at Maw as she tells Daddy to be ready by six for his birthday dinner.

"Birthday dinner?" I ask Maw and I watch as she laughs softly. "Today is your Daddy's 23rd birthday!" She says and I turn to Daddy. He's refusing to look at me, a sheepish look on his face. I pout and poke his cheek. "You didn't tell me that." I say grumpily as I continue to poke his cheek. He chuckles and grabs my hand, kissing it softly.

"You need a bath." He says, turning his attention to me. I giggle and poke his face with my other hand smiling big. He begins tickling me and I laugh loud, squirming around in his arms. I open my eyes slightly and see Paw staring at us angrily. I look down and push Daddy's hand away. Everyone else was laughing and smiling, but Paw seemed angry.

I whined to be let down, and Daddy did so begrudgingly. "I'll go take a bath." I say quietly as I walk up the stairs slowly. Why did Paw hate me so much? I grab a towel and head into the bathroom, closing the door. I start the bath but get in anyway, even though it wasn't full. I sit in the bath with my knees to my chest as it fills up.

I hear a knock on the door and pull the shower curtain close before telling whoever it was to come in. I peek past the curtain to see Daddy standing there. He opens the curtain and kneels next to the bath, rolling up his sleeves. I turn the bath off and pull his sleeves back down. "Go down with your friends, Daddy." I say, staring at the water. "I can help you with your bath." He says, sounding somewhat hurt.

"I'm fine." I tell him, turning to him and smiling. I open my eyes to see him giving me an odd look before kissing my head softly. "Come get me when you're done with your bath, okay?" He says and I nod in response, grabbing a washcloth and dipping it in the warm water. He left, closing the door behind him and that's when I felt myself tearing up. Why didn't Paw like me? That question had been on my mind since the first day I met him.

I was so embarrassed when I first met him after what had happened, and then just now he stared at me with so much anger and hatred. What did I ever do wrong? I cried softly as I rubbed shampoo into my hair slowly. I rinsed it out and continued with conditioner before rinsing that out as well. I stood up and pulled the plug, wrapping the towel around me slowly.

I put my clothes in the hamper and walked to my room, closing and locking the door. I pulled out a pair of underwear along with a pair of blue, knee-length shorts, a white, short sleeve, button up shirt. I put everything on along with a pair of white socks. I towel dry my hair before walking out of my room, throwing my towel in the hamper.

As I walk down the stairs, I watch as Paw sees me, and gives me another hateful glare. I resist the urge to tear up and stand next to Daddy, my head down. He goes to pick me up and I side step slightly, picking at my arm. I watch as he bends down to my level and turns me towards him. His attention is fully on me as all his friends are having different conversations.

I try to turn back around only to have him hold me firmly in place. "What's wrong, baby boy?" He asks, lifting my head up. "Nothing." I tell him, only to have him grip my arm a bit tighter. I whimper softly and he loosens his grip. "Tell me what's wrong or we're going to have to go upstairs." He tells me, and I know us going upstairs isn't going to be good.

I didn't want to ruin his birthday, so I told him nothing once more. He stands up and tells his friends we'll be back and then pulls me by my arm up the stairs. I look up to find Paw staring at me the same way once more. We walked to his office and he closed and locked the door behind us. I stand in the middle of the room with my head down and I hear him approach me slowly.

He picks me up and sets me on his desk, lifting my head. "What's wrong, Hunter?" He asks me, his voice soft. I feel myself tear up and I hold my head down. "Let's just go back downstairs." I say quietly only to have him reply with a sharp no. "Not until you tell me what's wrong." He says and I pull my knees to my chest. I shake my head and hear him sigh, pulling me to his chest. I hug him back before I hear knocking on the door.

It's loud and heavy and I already know it's Paw. Daddy goes to pick me up again and I step away just as Paw walks in. He looks at me then to Daddy right before he says to Daddy, "I need to talk to you. Alone." I start on my way out and right before I close the door I say, "See you later, Kyle." I regret it as soon as I say it but close the door nonetheless.

I can hear him call my name but I ignore it. I stand outside the door and listen in, not knowing what to expect. I hear Paw telling him something about the family business and money, so I listen closer. "You won't be inheriting anything as long as this is going on." He says. I knew he was referring to Daddy and I. Inheriting? And he won't be getting it because of me? I felt myself tear up and I walked back to my room quickly but quietly.

I locked the door and opened my window slowly. I stepped out onto my roof, closing the window behind me. I couldn't let him not live his life because of me. I need to go. I slid down the roof carefully before I reached the gutter. I jumped down, landing in one of our bushes. I stood up, wincing in pain slightly. I look to the window to find the curtains closed and I begin to walk up the road.

Before long, the house is out of sight. I look around to find myself in the woods. I walk slower and stare up into the leaves. I stop as I can see what seems to be a structure in the trees. I step closer and find a small, frayed, rope ladder. I climb it slowly, hearing it creak every once in a while. I reach the top and find myself in a small, wooden tree house. It was dirty, and looked like it hadn't been used for years.

I sat down in it, tucked away in the corner slightly. I felt tears prick my eyes and I tried my best to hold them back. I knew I'd go home soon. I have to. If I didn't he'd send out the police or something for me. I sat there for a while before deciding it was time I went home. I stand up only to hit my head on a large branch right above my head. I fall back down and hold my head; everything seemed to be spinning. It slowly got darker, and before I knew it I was out.