Better

Kyle's POV

  I had no idea that any of that had happened. I had just figured he'd cut ties with his family after he came out, and I thought he was an only child. Seeing him so broken and hearing him blaming himself was the worst thing I'd ever witnessed. He was still so fragile, and there was nothing I could do to help. I can't go back in time and fix what happened.

  He had cried himself to sleep and still seemed to be crying as he slept. He didn't deserve this. He was a sweet, kind person. He didn't deserve to have everyone taken from him. I wish I could go back and save them, for him. He was full of so much love and happiness, but seeing him so sad right now was a terrifying sight. I cradled him close, rocking him gently as he slept.

  I kissed his forehead softly before resting my forehead against his. Why do the worst things happen to the best people? I carried him to my room and laid him in my bed gently, tucking him in. I held his hand as he slept and I kissed his ring finger gently. He had to grow up so early in life, that must've been what had drawn him to being a child. Would him calling me Daddy be an issue now?

  I got up and decided I'd make him something for when he woke up. I kissed his forehead once more and walked down the steps and into the kitchen. I called Tim and Ken, inviting them over. Maybe having some other people here would help him a little bit. I decided I'd make Hamburger Helper and got to work. A few minutes later Tim and Ken pulled in the driveway and I ran to the door, opening it for them before running back to the kitchen.

  "Why'd you invite us over, Uncle Kyle?" Ken asked as he walked around the kitchen. "Hunter is upset. So I thought that having friends over would make him feel better." I said, stirring the Hamburger Helper. "Why's he upset?" Ken asked as he jumped up onto Tim's back. "He, um, remembered something. And it made him sad." I said, looking at him.

  Tim set Ken down and told him to go watch some t.v., before turning to me. "What did he remember?" Tim asked, leaning against the counter. "His family's death." I said, taking a deep breath. Tim stood back up, shocked. "His family is dead?" He asked and I nodded. "Don't mention it, I think he's had it blocked out for a while and it's just all coming back." I said and he nodded.

  A few minutes later I heard screaming and quickly turned off the stove before running up the stairs. Hunter was sat in the middle of the bed, clutching his head, crying and screaming. I ran to him and picked him up, his breathing hard and erratic. I held him to my chest and rocked him gently, stroking his hair slowly. I held his head to my chest again and said, "Breathe." He nodded and slowly, his breathing became calm.

  I picked him up and carried him downstairs to find Tim finishing the Hamburger Helper. Hunter clinged to me, still crying heavily. "Shh, it's okay." I said, Tim looking at him concerned. Ken seemed concerned too. "Hey, Hunter. Do you want to go sit on the couch with Ken?" I asked and he looked up and to Ken. Ken gave him a smile and he nodded.

  I set him down and Ken held him tightly, consoling him in a way. I smiled as Hunter calmed down and rested his head on Ken's shoulder. I walked in the kitchen and made Hunter and I both a plate as Tim did the same for himself and Ken. I walked to the living room and sat next to Hunter slowly, setting my plate to the side.

  He leaned against my side and I fed him slowly. He didn't seem like he wanted to eat, but he needed to. I noticed a small bite mark on his arm as he finished and I looked up in his eyes. He wasn't looking at me, but instead was staring at the ground. All color had left his face and I felt like crying at that sight. He was so broken down and I couldn't do anything. I held his hand and rubbed the ring on it gently.

  I watched as it brought a small smile to his face and I sighed in relief. He closed his eyes and laid his head on my shoulder. I ate my food slowly while we all watched t.v., Ken asking to turn it to Spongebob. I ran my fingers through Hunter's hair and I smiled as I watched him slowly drifting off.

  He seemed to be feeling better, which was good. I looked over to find Tim playing with Ken's hair, making him relaxed. Ken yawned as he leaned against Tim slightly and after a few minutes he had fallen asleep. I checked my phone and noticed a few messages from my mom. 'I'll be back in the city soon.', 'But I'm going to my house, I'm tired of driving.', and 'Your Dad is going to drop the car off and then you can give him a ride home. I want you to talk to him and tell him about the engagement.' They said and I groaned, tilting my head back.

  Hunter looked up at me sleepily and I smiled, stroking his hair gently. He laid his head back down in my lap and closed his eyes. "What's wrong, man?" Tim asked as he scooped up Ken, rocking him in his arms. "My dad's coming by and my mom wants me to tell him about the engagement." I told him, causing him to make a sour face.

  Hunter had fallen asleep, so I scooped him up and rocked him gently as well. He snored lightly and I chuckled, kissing his cheek gently. "You want me to stay?" Tim asked and I looked up at him. "Can you please? I'm worried he may get violent." I say and he nods, giving me a reassuring smile. Just then I heard a car door close and I quickly but gently grabbed Ken from Tim's arms and carried them both up to Hunter's room.

  I laid them both in the bed and rushed back down the stairs to find Dad in the doorway, his face angry and stern. I walked into the living room to find Tim giving my dad a similar look. He knew how he scared Hunter, and wouldn't let him get to him no matter what. "We need to talk." I said, nodding towards the couch. He sat on the couch and Tim and I sat across from him.

  "I don't know if you've heard or not, but while we were on vaction, I proposed to Hunter." I said, and immediately he stood up angrily. I stood up as well, keeping my cool. "You're engaged to the little bastard?!" He yelled, throwing his arms out. "I'm engaged to Hunter, and I don't appreciate you calling him that, or using that language at all." I said, causing him to grab me by my shirt collar.

  "I'll do whatever I damn well please, boy." He said, his face close to mine. I punched him in the gut and he let go of my shirt, doubling over in pain. "Get out of my house." I said, looking up to see Tim running to the stairs. Hunter was sleepily rubbing his eyes as he wandered into the hallway. Tim rushed him back into the room before standing at the top of the stairs.

  I lifted my dad off the ground and set him on his feet. "You can walk home." I said, pointing to the door. He huffed angrily and threw my keys at me before storming out of the house. I shoved my keys in my pocket and sighed, slouching back onto the couch. I rested my elbows on my knees and held my face in my hands. I just wish he'd accept me.

  I looked up to find Hunter sitting in front of me, his eyes wide. He reached up and wiped away the tears I didn't know I had shed. "It's okay." He said and I smiled, hugging him close. I closed my eyes and kissed his cheek softly over and over. I had all I needed right here in my arms.