Reunion Part I

Alec saw Jace departing away from him, over the other side of the field. Clary had run off before him, and of course Jace had run after her. No way he’d stay with Alec. Even if he was his parabatai. Jace would always run after Clary, even when she never wanted him to follow, because that’s what love did. Magnus never chased me, Alec thought to himself, jogging along the ruined landscape, his face stern. He wasn’t nervous, despite this literal hell he was in. His life had no meaning, no purpose anymore. His parents hated him, he had less friends than he had fingers, Isabelle was too worried over Simon, Jace had Clary, and Magnus, well… he just didn’t care anymore.

Someone grabbed Alec’s hair, yanking him back. Alec screamed, and his hands instantly flew to his head as he hit the floor, gashing the back of his head on a jagged rock. “Not expecting that, Lightwood?” Someone spat as Alec rolled over, grumbling in pain. He looked up into that cold, angular smiling face. White hair, dark eyes. “Sebastian.” Alec hissed, spitting blood. Sebastian smiled, and bowed a little. “The very same.” He muttered, and Alec’s had shot down to his belt, reaching out a blade. Sebastian was faster. He held a blade to Alec’s throat. “I remember killing your brother.” He said, eyes wide, smiling down at Alec. “I remember the shock on his face as he hit the ground, he never saw it coming.” Alec wriggled, trying to get out of his grasp, his neck dug into the blade, and his blood began to drip. But Sebastian held him. Detailing Max’s murder, Alec crying out, trying to stop him. He didn’t want to hear. He didn’t want to know.

“And now you’ll die the very same death.” He whispered close to Alec’s face – close enough for him to smell his breath. “Scared, alone, and on your knees.” He grabbed the front of Alec’s shirt, and pulled him up. And Alec stared right back at him. Straight into his face. “I’m not leaving here alive.” He began, and he licked the blood off his lip. “But I am not going to go down begging you for my life. I have my dignity.” He said, his voice teeming with anger. He didn’t care. Nobody would care if he was gone. Why should he? He finally understood how Jace managed to throw himself in danger so easily. Sebastian stared at him, and angled the knife at his chest. “you’re dying, either way, Lightwood. Begging me or not, you’ll die.” And he shoved the blade forward, and Alec made a finally gasp, before he could no longer breathe at all.

_____

Jace gasped. Clary turned around and stared at him, “What? What is it?” She asked frantically. Isabelle stopped, and looked at him. “Alec.” He said, looking around. “Alec, no, no, no, no, no, by the Angel, don’t do this to me.” he muttered under his breathe, clutching at the right side of his chest. He began back-tracking quickly. “Jace! You can’t just walk off!” Clary yelled, as she and Isabelle began jogging to keep up. “You said Alec? What about him Jace?” Isabelle asked. Jace licked his lips, and looked down. “I can’t feel him anymore. His heartbeat…I used to feel it, like an overlay to mine. But now I don’t.” He breathed, looking about him, and that was all it took for Clary and Isabelle to start looking about too.

They’d managed to call a few others in on the search too – Jordan, Maia, Simon, Jocelyn, Luke, Mayrse and Robert. They all knew that Alec wasn’t breathing anymore. They just wanted to find him. They couldn’t just leave him out there. Clary bent low to the ground, searching with her witchlight in her hand. She tripped over a small rock, and went stumbling forward, and her hand landed on something solid and cold and…wet. She drew her witchlight over it. The light reflected grey in Alec’s eyes. His eyes were glazed over, and his mouth was slightly ajar. She felt the gaping hole in his chest beneath her hand. She drew back, and screamed.

Luke came running to her, followed by all the others. Luke quickly pulled her away, and Clary attached herself to his chest, wiping Alec’s blood on his jacket. Her witchlight had fallen to the ground, illuminating his dead body. Luke closed his eyes. He remembered holding Alec when he was a newborn, Mayrse and Robert being so proud of their baby. Being so proud that they’d brought him to the Circle. And here he lay, barely an adult, on his back. He stood up and turned around. Jace and the other teenagers were close to him. They saw the blood on his jacket, Clary’s distraught crying. Luke looked from Jace to Izzy, to Simon, to Maia. “Tell Jocelyn to keep the Lightwoods back…they can’t see him like this.” He murmured, Maia nodded, and ran back. Jace was already striding forwards, he rested his hands on Clary’s shoulders momentarily, before his eyes caught the outline of his parabatai. His hands dropped to his side, as he fell down beside him. “Alec?” He almost whimpered, and Isabelle was beside him. She was in tears, brushing some hair out her brother’s face, whispering his name. Jace just sat, staring. Izzy dropped her head, crying hysterically. Simon wrapped his arms around her, and held her. It was hard for him to see Alec’s body too. He’d always liked him, and it was unlike any feeling he’d felt before. To see him like this. There came a wailing from behind them. Jocelyn was holding Mayrse as she collapsed to her knees. Robert had his face in his hands. Simon cursed his night vision, his good hearing. He could see every pained gesture the parents made, every whimper, every cry. “No…no…no…I can’t lose Alec…I can’t do this again…I can’t.” Mayrse sobbed. Robert took his hands from his face. There were clear tear marks.

“I need to see him.” He whispered. Jocelyn shook her head,

“Robert…you don’t want to remember him like this.” He looked up to the sky, letting out a pained whimper. “I need to see my son. I want to hold him again…I… I can’t leave him on the ground.” He whispered.

Mayrse was still sobbing, as Robert made his way forward. He was walking like he was in a dream. All he could think was not again, this can’t happen again. He’d felt like this with Max. When he’d seen him and Isabelle lying on the floor. He saw his son  now, on his back, arms by his side. He sat on the opposite side to his other children. Jace was crying to himself. Isabelle was distraught as Robert put his arms underneath Alec’s knees, and around his shoulders. He could still pick him up. He remembered the times when his son was small, when he’d held him against his chest. He never thought he’d lose him like this.