Happy Halloween!

Alec stood, staring up at the wall of costumes above him. Did Magnus really expect him to pick one to wear? “Got one yet?” The warlock asked suddenly scaring Alec.

“um…no.” He said, as Magnus kissed him on the cheek, “What are all these costumes supposed to be, anyway? What do they mean?” He continued curiously, and Magnus smiled, shaking his head,

“Right, silly Nephilim, this one here,” He said, indicating to a Dracula costume, “is a vampire.” Alec frowned and shook his head slowly. “But not all vampires wear capes, in fact – all the ones I know wear fairly ordinary clothing.” He argued, and Magnus sighed.

“Sweetheart, mundanes don’t think vampires are real, so they’re missing that realism there.” This statement confused Alec all the more. “But if they don’t think they’re real, why are they dressing up as one, how do they even know of the existence of a vampire?”  he argued, really confused about the whole thing about Halloween. It had taken Magnus ages to try and explain what the mundie celebration was for it, and why he should get involved. “Look, smarty-pants, just…” he trailed off, looking at Alec’s innocent, endearing face. He had the curiosity of a small child. Magnus felt a flutter in his heart. “Kiss me.” He slid his fingers under the shadowhunter’s chin, pulling him towards him, Alec didn’t protest, and soon their mouths fit together, quickly making them forget about the store around them, or their glamour. “Hey, fags!” They heard someone yell, and they reluctantly pulled apart to glance over at who had yelled at them.

It was a teenage boy. No surprise there, thought Magnus wearily. The boy jeered at them mockingly. “Say that again.” The warlock demanded. The boy looked back towards his friends, then swaggered over to then. Alec’s grip tightened around Magnus’ wrists. “let’s just leave, or put the glamour back on.” He urged, his eyes searched his lover’s face desperately. He’d been called a faggot when they were in England one other time, and it was only with great reluctance that Magnus had told him what it meant. He didn’t want to stick around to hear it said to him again. “Hey.” The boy said again, leaning up to try and stare Magnus down (which really doesn’t work when you’re trying to stare down a six foot tall man in heels). “Fag.” He spat, and Alec could sense Magnus nearly shaking with rage. “Please, we’ll go somewhere else. Magnus, please.” He begged, pulling his shoulder, the boy regarded Alec out of the corner of his eye. “Listen to your skank, Magnus.”

“Don’t you ever say a word against him.” The warlock hissed, and as Alec opened his mouth to say something, he turned to the shadowhunter. “Don’t say it’s fine. You fight and risk your life for scum like him. Don’t you dare let them treat you like this. They owe you.” Alec had never seen him so angry. His cat eyes were glistening with the white hot rage. “Hm.” The boy studied Alec more closely. “So you’re a soldier, huh? Why would a soldier of America be wasting time with an Asian? He’s bellow you.” The anger built up in Alec as this kid bad mouthed Magnus. he felt something inside him react, and he brought his fist up, and connected it with the kid’s jaw. He felt something crack. He may not be great at hand-to-hand in Nephilim terms, but he was outstanding in Mundane terms. He grabbed Magnus’ hand, and began running.

They only stopped just outside the store, where Alec crashed his lips to Magnus’. “Happy Halloween.” He muttered breathlessly.

“very happy indeed now.” Magnus smiled and pulled Alec closer to him.