The Present

Alec awoke suddenly, and he drew in a sudden breath of air as he did so. He had dozed off on his window sill, looking out over the city. And now the sun shone bright above the towers and buildings, the sky greyish and cloudy – the streets sprinkled with snow. He grinned. It was Christmas Day. He bolted off the sill, and threw open his door. Jace was stood on the other side, just going to knock. Both him and Alec jumped considerably upon seeing each other, but they soon began to laugh. “Happy Christmas.” Jace greeted softly.

“Have you gone to wake Isabelle up yet?” Alec asked, pulling a crumpled jumper off his floor, discarding his pyjama shirt to pull the other item of clothing on. He then replaced his pyjama bottoms with jeans, and drew a grey hoodie over the top. It was cold in the Institute – he’d found himself piling on the layers when he just wanted to sit and read. “Yes, she’s getting ready, so I decided to come and wake you.” Jace explained as Alec turned back to him. His hair was askew with sleep. But Alec had always looked like that – ever since Jace had first met him all those years ago, he’d always had wild, uncombed hair and an appalling sense of clothing. “I suppose mom and dad are already downstairs.” Alec asked, pulling down his hoodie a little bit. Jace nodded, “Well I suppose we’ll go to get Izzy now, regardless of how ready she is.” Alec continued, smiling as he left his room, his parabatai in toe.

“Isabelle!” Alec called, knocking on her door. “I’m coming in, regardless of what state you’re in!” He warned, before opening the door. His younger sister was rubbing concealer into her face as quickly as she could. “I’ll be with you in just a moment, Alec – just wait.” But he was already moving forward, pulling on of her braids. “Ow!” She complained, and he rolled her eyes.

“No one’s going to see you, Izzy. It’s just us – no boy you need to get dolled up for.” He tutted as he pulled her out of her room, Jace closing the door behind him, flanking the two Lightwood siblings, so Isabelle couldn’t retreat back to her room.

They were going into the main living room – where they’d set up the most glorious Christmas tree that they’d had in years at the beginning of the month, when Alec’s breath hitched slightly. Isabelle peered passed her brother to see what had gotten him so flustered. Stood before a roaring fire in their living room was no other than Magnus Bane – having a conversation with the two Lightwood parents; although Mayrse appeared to be making most of the effort. The warlock looked up, and brushed some hair out of his face as he caught sight of his boyfriend. And as Isabelle glanced up at her brother, she saw that he was smiling wider than she had ever seen him smile before. He crossed the room in a matter of strides, and threw his arms around the warlock, who in turn hugged Alec closely to his body. He tilted his face close to the shadowhunter’s, and kissed him gently – not wanting to embarrass him in front of his family. Alec broke away and scanned Magnus up and down, “you look…festive.” He commented. Magnus was wearing tight red trousers that left little to the imagination, and a red cloak trimmed with white fur, done up at the front with a large red silk bow. He grinned at Alec, “And you’re still wearing that terrible hoodie, my dear.” And he kissed him on the cheek. “What are you doing here though?” The shadowhunter asked, his fingers tracing the faint scar Magnus had on his hand from the rune he’d placed on him. “Well, it felt horrifically lonely at my apartment without my lover, so I decided to come visit you and your family for Christmas.” He explained, “I brought presents, don’t worry.” He indicated towards the tree where a large red sack sat, completely full. Alec’s eyes widened a little. “You…walked all the way here with a massive sack filled with presents?” He asked. Magnus cocked his head,

“Most of them are for you, Alexander.”

Alec sat with his head resting against Magnus’ shoulder, the warlock’s hands wrapped around his waist possessively; his knees bent inwards a bit, knocking against Alec’s. It was a stance that had irritated Robert greatly, and both of them knew it. But they’d worked their way into place so naturally, it would have seemed awkward to detach themselves. Alec was opening one of his last presents – one of Magnus, tearing off the paper on it. Once the paper was completely gone, Alec choked on his own breath in shock and embarrassment. He held an object (or was it an item of clothing?) so sexual and crude that it seemed impossible to be holding it in front of his parents. Jace’s eyes were transfixed on it, it was so disturbing he wanted to look away, but he couldn’t. “Is that…what I think it is?” He asked. Magnus was laughing wildly, and he finally managed to contain himself enough to lean close to Alec’s ear. “I’d love to see you try it on tonight.”

Robert stormed out of the room, his face flushing so red it was an even darker shade then Magnus’ cloak.