The Scarf

Alec tapped his mug subconsciously, pursing his lips slightly. He shut his eyes, enjoying the warmth of the sun on his face. It had been so long since he could just…sit there. Not thinking about wars, or constantly worrying about who he would lose next. Of course, he’d never stopped thinking about those he had lost: dad, Max. They weighed on his mind almost daily – on Izzy’s and mom’s, too. But…he wasn’t sad they were gone. He had memories of them – good memories. He remembered how his dad had ruffled his hair, and kissed his forehead before he left. That last touch was an affectionate one, and he chose to remember it. He felt someone slide into the seat next to him, and he turned to smile at his partner. “Morning, sweetie.” Magnus sang, leaning in to peck him softly on the lips. Alec smiled at him, his eyes trailing over to the crisp white wedding band on his husband’s finger.

Two months, he kept thinking, it’s already been two months. Two months since he’d slid that ring onto his finger, and it had gone perfectly. Just wait a little, it’ll start dragging soon, Jace had joked. Alec leaned back in his chair, resting his feet on the base of the table. “We’re still going to see the others today, right?” He asked, the wind ruffling Magnus’ hair (since getting married he’d tried a calmer style – still outrageous yes, and he had colourful streaks of pink and blue - but he’d stopped gelling his hair up now). “Of course. Training with you shadowhunters after breakfast, and then going out to a bar with everyone later.” Magnus recalled, grinning as he leaned his head on Alec’s shoulder, kissing his neck. “I just love you.” He mumbled contently, and Alec laughed.

“C’mon,” he said, shrugging his head off his shoulder, “we gotta go wash up and get ready to go.” Magnus moaned, reluctantly standing up and stomping back inside their apartment to help his husband with the washing up. Alec began running the tap, and Magnus wrapped his arms around his neck, “why don’t we sort out the dishes later, but for now…well…why don’t we go back to bed?” he said between kisses on his neck. Alec intertwined his hands with Magnus’, “no… we actually have stuff to do today.”

“If we didn’t would you have said yes?” he whispered, Alec turned around to look at him properly, studying him carefully, “of course.” And he closed the gap between their mouths – kissing him tenderly, but only for a moment before pulling away, running over to the other side of the apartment. “Get your coat Magnus. If you can’t be bothered to clean up, we’ll do it when we get back and get there early.” He grinned, putting on the blue scarf Magnus had given him those years ago. Magnus ran to catch up with him, “you know, that scarf is just a tatty old one that I bought from GAP. I could give you a much more historically important one that-”Alec put his hand over Magnus’ lips, “but this one suits me. It’s modern, it’ll tell my story when I’m gone, not just someone else’s.” and he took his husband’s hand pulling him out the door, towards the subway.