Lavender

“Alec’s sick.” Isabelle said. Magnus sighed,

“So? He gets sick sometimes – you all may be part angel, but you’re mostly human as well. You’ll get sick.” He argued.

“Yeah but it’s different, this time – you know why. It just is. It’s different.” She argued. Magnus sat down on his sofa. “I don’t know if you remember, biscuit, but I haven’t been in your lives for about three years.” He reminded her.

“Things really have changed for Alec – he needs somebody with him right now to help him out.”

“Why don’t you did?” Magnus defended.

“I’m with Simon somewhere else.” She said.

“Jace?”

“With Clary.”

“Why can’t they both look after him?”

“Clary’s heavily pregnant, no way she can get all the way down to the Institute. They’re expecting the baby any day now.” Magnus licked his lips,

“So what does he need help with?”

“With Isidore.” She said. He paused,

“With what?” He asked, she chuckled.

“Isidore – Alec’s son.” Magnus froze up.

“Alexander has a son?” He asked.

“Yes. And he’s petrified of giving Iz his illness, so please just help him out okay? For his son.”

“Okay…” he muttered.

The shadowhunter opened the door to the Institute, and he looked worse than Magnus thought he would. He was pale, his eyes sunken and dark, shadows under his eyes. He was breathing heavily. “Oh. Did Izzy send you?” he asked. His voice was stuffy and nasal. He nodded.

“She said you needed help with your son?” Magnus asked. Alec looked down a little,

“Yeah…I don’t want to give him my germs.” He said.

Magnus followed the shadowhunter inside, up into his room. It was neater than the warlock remembered, and had a crib in the corner. There was a baby lying asleep in it, he was wearing a baby grow that was made to resemble a polar bear. “Clary bought him that when he was born.” He said, lying down in bed. Magnus stood out over the baby. He had thin black hair on top of his head and was wriggling slowly in his sleep. “How old is he?” The warlock asked as Alec pulled the covers over himself. “Ten months.” He answered. The question was on Magnus’ lips. The thing he wanted to know the most, and it slipped out before he had a chance to stop it. “Who’s the mother?” He asked quickly. “Lavender Verwood.” Magnus furrowed his eyebrows,

“I’ve never heard of the family before.” He admitted.

“Her dad was a mundane who absconded, of course you haven’t.” He said. Magnus turned to face him, “so did you marry Lavender?” He asked, his voice sharper than intended. Alec looked at him before shutting his eyes again. “Yes, I married her.”

“So why isn’t your wife taking care of you?” Magnus snapped, “Why didn’t you ask her to take care of you – hell, what sort of wife isn’t there when her husband is ill?” He was rambling off. Alec stared at him through lidded eyes; they flickered over to the picture on his bedside table. “Lavender…died…giving birth to Isidore.” He said. A pit opened up in Magnus’ stomach.

“I’m so sorry Alec…I didn’t know.” he whispered meekly. Alec shrugged, blinking groggily. He leaned over and took the photo in his hands, brushing his hand over it briefly, before handing it over to Magnus. Lavender was a pretty girl. Long dark curling hair, dark brown eyes. She was wearing a gold gown – presumably it was on their wedding day, She had such a pretty smile. Magnus smiled at the picture. “I loved her…but, I couldn’t bring myself to feel romantically, sexually… attracted. I loved her as a friend. She knew that. she knew I never loved her like she loved me…” He sighed, “She knew I was gay. She was one of the only people to realise no one could change that.” He leaned his head back as Magnus put the photo back, and sat on the side of Alec’s bed. He put his hand on his forehead, and then on his cheek, his thumb running across the bone. “You’re burning up.” Magnus said, searching Alec’s face with his eyes, “maybe because the man I’ve loved my whole life has his hand on my cheek.” He breathed. The two of them watched each other, and just as Magnus leaned in closer, Isidore began to wail. Alec immediately began to get up, but Magnus set his hand on his shoulders, pushing him back down onto the bed. “I’ll look after Isidore, you’re supposed to be resting.” He mumbled, smiling as he got up to go get the child. “Now, what does your baby want?” He asked, holding the unfamiliar baby out from him like it was some sort of alien.