Sick II

Alec stood outside the bathroom door. He could hear retching inside. He was scared to ask, or say anything. He was about to knock, when the toilet flushed, and Magnus exited.

He looked awful. His hair was messy, his skin was pale, and he looked thinner, even though Alec knew he wasn’t. He looked weak, and sleepy and tired. Alec sucked in a breath. “Magnus…” he breathed. “Are you alright?” The warlock looked groggily at him, his eyes lidded.

“Just perfect, sweetie.” He said sarcastically. And Alec felt a pit open in his stomach. Magnus was never sick. He was never ill. He didn’t know what to do  about  it. “Should I call another warlock? What kind of medicine do warlocks take? Is there some special thing I need to get you? What do you need?” Alec started talking very rapidly. He hardly left himself a breathing pause, and Magnus began worrying if he let him go on, Alec would pass out due to lack of oxygen. He put a hand on his shoulder, sniffing. “Alec,” he said, his voice croaky, “just breathe, okay?” He said. Alec looked at him, and slowly breathed in. Magnus nodded, “now breathe out.” So the shadowhunter did. “And in again. Okay, are you calm now?” He asked. Alec nodded slightly. “Alright then. Alec, I’m not…badly ill. I just have a bit of a bug. It’ll be okay, you don’t have to get anything.” Alec opened his mouth to reply, but Magnus cut him off. “No. No. I’m alright, really.” He smiled, “besides, I have you taking care of me.” Alec smiled weakly back at him.

“I think you should go back to bed.” He said, his ton authoritative. Magnus nodded, and began walking back to the bedroom. He felt dizzy. Standing up was so hard when he felt like the room was turning around him. It made him feel sicker. “My thoughts exactly.” He muttered back.