Nieces & Nephews

Magnus opened the door swiftly, in one smooth motion. Alec standing behind him. Clary smiled at the couple. Her hands on each back of her darling twins. They had the red hair of their mother, and the golden eyes of their father. They were five years old, and both Magnus and Alec adored them. “look,” Clary said, her voice sweet, “Hero, Emilia, it’s your uncles Magnus and Alec.” Both of the children looked cheerily up at their uncles, Hero running ahead of his sister, clinging to Alec’s legs. Emilia was slower. She looked curiously up at Magnus. She’d been fascinated by his eyes, and he could amuse her and her brother for many hours. It soothed her, when they were staying at Magnus and Alec’s, and Emi would wake up in the night, scared. Magnus would create a calming flame for her, and she would grow tired and fall back asleep watching it. Clary smiled at the two of them, and then up at her brother-in-law. “Jace will swing by later to pick them up. I hope it’s not too much trouble to leave them with you like this.” Alec smiled, lifting Hero up onto his shoulders.

“Of course it’s no trouble. You know we adore your children.” He told her. She nodded, before bending down to look her daughter in the eyes. “Your daddy will be here to pick you up this evening – be good for Magnus and Alec.” She said, and Emi giggled, hiding her face behind Magnus’ leg. He smiled down at the girl, taking her small hand. “Come on you guys, let’s go make some cupcakes.” Both children seemed ecstatic at the possibility. “What flavour?” Hero asked as the front door shut, and Clary began walking back down the fire escape. He was leaning forward so much Alec had to put his hand on the child’s stomach to stop him falling forward. He could already tell he was going to be fearless like his father. “Whatever flavour you want them to be.” Alec answered, looking over to his partner. He knew he could make them any flavour if he really wanted them to be (he was questioning whether cupcakes flavoured by magic were appropriate for little children and whether they had any serious health problems, though). Both Hero and Emi began shouting out random flavours, and Magnus laughed. “We could make one for every flavour you want.” He suggested and both siblings looked at each other, grinning.

Alec sighed, cleaning up the kitchen slowly. Magnus smiled at him as Alec began washing out the mixing bowls and the baking tray as the warlock grabbed a cloth to wipe down their surfaces. Both of the children were asleep in the living room area, having wiped out after their sugar rush. “Well, at least they’ll be easy to manage when Jace comes to collect them.” Magnus commented, and Alec laughed. “Do you think we’ll ever have children of our own? Like…adopting or whatever?” Alec asked cautiously. He’d been asking that on and off for the last six months or so. Magnus smiled and wrapped his arm around Alec’s midriff from behind, kissing him tenderly for a moment or two. “You know, after looking at those two, I was wondering if we would ever have any baby shadowhunters ourselves.” He said, and Alec smiled, leaning against his partner.

“I didn’t think I wanted any kids until Clary and Jace had those two.” He said, indicating to the sleeping children. Magnus smiled at them, “do you think if we had a child, if either Emi or Hero would become their parabatai?” he asked. Alec smiled at the idea of having two generations of parabatais interlocked.