Christmas Present

Alec sighed, ejecting the disk and slinking over to retrieve and put it back in the box. The Nightmare Before Christmas had been his final film attempt at trying to understand the celebration fully. The way they’d celebrated it in the Institute wasn’t very…well, he’d just never really celebrated it properly before. It was only then, when Magnus had taken him with him to buy a Christmas tree that he’d realised that there was a lot more to it than that. So he’d read Christmas poems, read novels based around Christmas, and watched films. He still only had half an idea of what Christmas was like. He felt like Jack in the film he’d just watched – unfamiliar to the idea, and getting everything wrong. He put his head in his hands, none of the films gave him any idea what to get Magnus.

Magnus was such a mystery. He had no idea what kind of thing Magnus liked. He liked vintage things, but he also liked new things. He liked sparkly and in sometimes, slightly tacky, but he also liked classical, and understated. He was so different in his likes. Alec wished he’d paid more attention to what Magnus had liked when they were out shopping. He grumbled, and then he felt a hand on his shoulder, soft, gentle. “What’s wrong?” He heard Magnus ask from above him. Alec turned and smiled at him gently. “Nothing, nothing.”

“Still trying to figure out what the hell Christmas is?” Alec stared back at his lover. He hadn’t been aware of Magnus’ eyes flicking over to the DVD. “Did you use your cat eyes again?” He asked, and Magnus went to sit next to him, kissing him on the cheek. “I can’t just turn them off, sweetie, like you can’t turn off your human eyes.” he purred. “But how has your Christmas research been going?” Alec sighed, “I still don’t understand.” Magnus picked up the DVD,

“Well no wonder if you’re looking at this kinda film. This’ll just tell you what not to do.” He said, and Alec shrugged. “Any who, speaking of Christmas.” He glanced, deliberately, towards the tree. Alec followed his gaze, and noticed the presents under the tree. There were four or five of there. And the paper…Alec got off the sofa, and went towards the tree. “By the angel…” he whispered, touching the wrapping paper. It was a design of the angel Raziel rising from the lake, the cup in one hand, the sword in the other. It was the image Alec had seen since as soon as he could retain information. He remembered seeing it in his nursery in their home back in Idris. “I had it specially made for you. It’s…part of your present.” Magnus leaned back on the sofa, smiling.

“its amazing.” Alec couldn’t keep his eyes off it, but it was making him feel all the worse about his lack of knowing what to get.

*****

It was Christmas Eve, and he still had no idea. It was late in the evening, and he had no idea. He was panicking. Magnus sat next to him on the sofa, as Alec sat with his knees to his chest. “What’s the matter, sweetie?” Magnus brushed his fingers through Alec’s hair, brushing it behind his ear. “Don’t you like the sweater I bought you?” He’d bought Alec a Christmas sweater on one of his last shopping trips, and  it looked very sweet and endearing on the young shadowhunter. Alec shook his head, “I…” he looked at Magnus, and bit his lip. He had no idea what to say. But as he looked at the man, he saw something in his eyes, the way he looked at him. The way he took in his entire figure, the way his pupils dilated a little. Alec knew one sure and certain thing that Magnus adored: him. He blushed, and leaned forward. Magnus smiled, and leaned in just as well. They kissed, softly at first, and then more passionate. Alec pulled away and pulled the sweater over his head, discarding it on the floor. “I didn’t know what to get you.” He said, straddling Magnus, putting his forehead to his. Magnus’ hands trailed over to Alec’s hips. Alec began kissing him again, “Thank you. This is the best thing you could have gotten me.” Magnus whispered between kisses.