Swapsies

Isabelle stepped backwards, breathing out. “Is that it? Is it over?” She said airily. She felt tired…dizzy. Magnus stepped back, her older brother standing up to balance his lover. “I hope so…” the warlock said weakly. Simon stood up, “you hope so? No offense man, but that doesn’t exactly fill us with the best of confidence in you.” He commented, Alec silently agreeing with him.

“Well, we’ll find out whether it worked in ten or so years, won’t we? Either Isabelle won’t age at all, or I won’t. Either way, we’ll be able to tell in a few years.” Magnus replied. “Until then…we just hope that I managed to get the spell right. I feel like I did. I feel…different.”  He ran a hand through his hair.

“I feel it too.” Isabelle said firmly, taking Simon’s hand, smiling at him. She laughed, and Alec broke into smile. “One day my baby sister might be older than me. That’s a funny thought.” He admitted. Magnus was the only one not smiling. He walked up to Isabelle. “We can change it back whenever you want to, Izzy.” He said sombrely. She furrowed her eyebrows,

“why would I want to…why would I want to change it back?” she queried. Magnus chewed his lip.

“you’re going to have to watch everyone you cared about except Simon grow old and die. That means Alec, your parents, me, Jace…Clary. Everyone.” He brushed some hair out of her face and tucked it gently behind her ears. “I know how hard that is. Trust me… I have seen so much death, when I die and go to Hell myself, nothing could ever happen to me that would be worse than that.” He was searching her face. “But I’ve…grown used to it. So if you want to exchange places again…if you want to step away, I will take it back. You don’t have to suffer.” He turned around to Alec, his eyes sad, lonely. “And I’m sure your brother will understand if you take it back.” He said.

Isabelle shook her head, grinning at the warlock. She held onto Simon’s arm, but there was knowing in her eyes. She knew what was to come. She knew how much pain she would have to look forward to. “I won’t bother you. You’ve had eight hundred years, Magnus. It’s time to give someone else a chance.”