Over

It started falling apart one night. It came on quite suddenly, as Magnus was lying on his back, his boyfriend resting his head on his shoulder, asleep. Magnus was winding his hand in his hair, as he looked down at Alec.  And for the first time he’d been aware of, he looked and saw flaws. He was a beautiful man, there was no doubt in that, he was attractive, but as Alec lay fast asleep Magnus looked at him and saw a few acne scars on his face, the uneven tone of his skin, and the itchiness of his stubble on Magnus’ skin. He didn’t think about it much, he looked away quickly, but it was strange. From the moment he’d first laid eyes on Alexander Lightwood, he’d seen nothing but perfection and beauty, even when he let him go before, he’d only seen the best in Alec. And now, as he lay in the dark, he could see passed that, and could see other flaws.

And it wasn’t just that night that Magnus saw it, either. As he woke up in the morning, Magnus found himself irritated by the slowness of Alec in the morning, of his ability to take ages to get out of bed and into the bathroom. And it continued, over the days and weeks, he grew distant from his lover. And Alec felt the same. He got more and more irritated by little habits Magnus had always had, and he began avoiding the apartment, training more at the Institute, going to see his friends more often.

And eventually it all came to a head. They sat across from each other at dinner, eating in a cold, stony, awkward silence. Magnus sighed, and but his cutlery down. “Alec, I think we need to talk about something.” He began. Alec stared at him.

“I’m here, so talk.”

“I know, I just wanted to conform that we have a problem than needs to be talked about.”

“Well I don’t know whether we have a problem or not, because you haven’t told me what it is.” Alec snapped back. Magnus looked down, and crossed his arms across the table. “I don’t think I love you anymore, Alec.” He said. And Alec choked on his drink. After regaining his composure, he just sat there, his eyes darkening slightly. Magnus knew he’d hurt him. “Magnus…what…” He began stuttering, and Magnus reached his hand sympathetically across the table. Alec pulled his hand away. “Don’t.” He hissed, putting his head in his hands. Magnus knew he was crying now. He could hear him whimpering softly, quietly. Magnus didn’t know what he could say. He wanted to console him, but knew it would make it worse if he said anything. So he let Alec cry. And he cried for some fifteen minutes. He finally looked up, eyes red, and began working a ring off his finger. Magnus began to raise his voice, “Alec, what are you-”

“You don’t want to be together anymore, right? That’s why you said you don’t love me anymore?” He pulled the ring off his finger, the ring Magnus had given him when he’d promised to be together for the rest of Alec’s days. He put it on the table, and pushed it towards Magnus. “You can have that back. Give it to your next lover.” He added. And he stood up, going into the bedroom to get a jacket. “I’ll take what I can now, I’m coming back tomorrow with Jace probably to get the rest of it.” He said. Magnus followed him into the bedroom, watching Alec get his stuff. “Alexander, just stop a minute.” He asked. Alec stopped, and stood up. Magnus leaned in close to him. “Don’t you want to try? Are you just okay with giving it up?” Alec looked away.

“My parents have been trying since before Max was born. I already know trying to love someone again doesn’t work. I’m not going to try. You don’t want me, and that’s fine. I’ll move on. But I’m not staying if it’s going to be like this.” He stood up, and kissed Magnus softly on the lips.

“I love you, Magnus. But…this is what’s best.” He muttered, and went back to packing his things.