Reunion Part II

Robert laid him down on the bed. Alec’s eyes were shut now – Jace couldn’t bear staring into those blue voids that used to hold so much intelligence, so much emotion. He couldn’t bear seeing the emptiness of death in a face he knew so well. In the face of someone he loved so much. Mayrse was still sobbing in the other room, Isabelle had run off as they were going back to the house. Only Jace and Clary and Simon remained in the room. Robert collapsed beside the bed, his hand interlocked with Alec’s. Or rather, curled around a hand that wouldn’t respond to his touch. Clary’s hand was soaked with the same blood that covered Alec’s chest. Robert cried quietly. Jace let his tears fall into his lap. “He didn’t deserve this.” Robert sobbed. “Alec was a good boy…such a good child. He never deserved this.”

“Alec never deserved death.” Clary said. Robert closed his eyes.

“I just want him back…” he whimpered.

_____

Izzy threw another rock, this one went through a window. “LISTEN TO ME, YOU ASSHOLE!” She shrieked, panting. Her forehead was caked with sweat, her tears soaking throw her shirt. She was tired, but wide awake. Eventually, a figure opened the front door, and stumbled outside. “What, Isabelle Lightwood, is so important, that you must vandalise my home? Don’t you have higher priorities – what with Clarissa’s brother destroying the world and all?” Magnus Bane asked. Isabelle felt repulsion as soon as she saw him. Hatred. How carefree he was. She swallowed. “it’s Alec.” She whimpered. Magnus rolled his eyes. “Whatever has happened with Alexander does not concern me.” And he began to turn his back, when she blurted it out.

“He was murdered.” She yelled at him. “He was murdered, and you’re going to turn your back and say you don’t care about him?! Like he never existed to you? Because you meant everything to Alec! He loved you! And you’re just going to turn your back! He’s dead, you fucking asshole!” She screamed, picking up a rock, and throwing it at Magnus. It hit him on the shoulder, and knocked him forward.

He landed on his hands and knees, and stayed there. He stayed there for so long, Isabelle walked forward hesitantly. “FUCK OFF.” He screamed at her, not turning to face her. She froze. Magnus never screamed, or used profanities. His shoulders began to jerk, and she knew he was crying. “Magnus, I-”

“ISABELLE!” He yelled, and he paused. He sat up, and got himself off the floor, holding his wounded shoulder. “You’ve just…hit me with a rock. Please…just leave me alone.” He said. Isabelle put her hand on his uninjured shoulder, “Magnus…” She began, noticing he was crying. He wiped his tears.

“It doesn’t matter. There’s nothing I can do for him now. He’s… he’s dead. I can’t change anything anymore.” He whimpered. Isabelle felt her tears coming back again.

“Alec wanted you with him. You couldn’t do that with him, so don’t leave him on his own again.” She told him. “Just come and see him. Come to his funeral… he would have wanted you there, more than anything.” She whispered. Magnus nodded.

“I’ll come.”

_____

Clary’s mind flashed, the way it did when she was thinking of a rune. Mayrse was standing in the doorway. Alec looked paler in the light. He looked more damaged. “What if…” she began. “What if I could resurrect him?” She said. Mayrse looked at her, shaking her head.

“No.” She snapped. “No. You’re not putting my son through that. I’ve seen you resurrect before – you can’t do that to Alec.” She told her. Robert looked between the two women.

“Mayrse, if there’s a chance that Clarissa can bring Alec back then-”

“She’s not going to bring him back, Robert! He’s….he’s dead! When she says resurrect, she means give him life, with his wounds still intact! I’ve seen her do it before, it will hurt him! You don’t want to see that!” She yelled back. Jace gripped his hands together.

“What if we iratze his wounds after Clary resurrects him?” He asked. Robert smiled.

“Mayrse, we can….Alec doesn’t have to die. If he can be saved, we need to save him. I can’t just sit by when I could have saved Alec.” He whimpered. Mayrse stared at her husband for a long time. She looked at her son too. “I can’t watch you do this to him.” She muttered, stalking out of the room.

Simon stood at the edge of the room, next to Jace. They watched as Clary hovered over Alec’s body. They’d removed his shirt, and his wounds looked so much more violent on his bare skin. Slowly, Clary’s stele made its way onto Alec’s stomach, and began tracing the rune. Once she’d finished, she stepped back. For a moment, nothing happened, but then Alec convulsed, and he began coughing, and crying out. He cried out incoherent words, and looked about him frantically, he tried to sit up, and it made him scream. He yelled out how it hurt, how he wanted it to stop. Robert covered his ears. Jace stepped forward, taking the stele from Clary. He put his hands on the side of Alec’s face. He’s warm, Jace thought happily. Alec looked up at him. “Jace, Jace make it stop, please make it stop, it hurts, it hurts. Please make it stop, I’m scared.” He cried. Jace nodded.

“Alec, Alec, I need you to listen to me, I need to heal your wounds. Stay still for me, okay.” Alec bit his lip so hard it bled. He grabbed the sides of the bed, and pressed his body into the mattress. Jace began to trace the rune on his shoulder, near his parabatai rune. And Alec’s body went slack.