CHAPTER 42

My chest started to heave huge sighs as I felt a drop of sweat trickle down my neck.
I didn't have the courage to turn completely but with the side of my eyes I shifted the gaze towards my shoulder.
The hand seemed to look inhumane, because it looked like a hard rock.

To my surprising horror...the hand belonged to that of the statue.
My heart started to race at such an extent that it would jump it's way out any moment and flush out all the blood in no time.
I started to inhale and exhale at the fastest speed and I could feel my chest rise up and down.....

"God! Save me!" I squeezed my eyes shut and without thinking twice I started to run, I increased my speed without even letting the thought cloud my mind that where was I heading to.

I could see no sign of my companions. But to be honest, I completely forgot about them for a moment. I stumbled upon a rock and that is when my brain started running on the correct path.

I placed my hand on my forehead trying to figure out where the hell had I landed.

I turned around to get a better picture but it was obvious that it wasn't that easy to get to Nandini.
I found myself standing right in front of the statue!

I gulped something down my throat, I don't know if it was bile anymore 'cause I had gulped too much of it so I doubt if any was left.
"Shut up Nikhil, atleast look at the situation and then start blabbering baseless crap!" My inner voice scolded me....

"Focus!" I slapped the back of my head.
The annoying sounds of the crickets in the pitch dark night frightened me.
Well, I wasn't such a freaked out chick. But come on I was all alone in the dark next to the Haunted Bhangarh Fort at midnight. That too in the ghost hour.

The thought about the creepy statue standing right behind me.
As I turned around it's eyes met mine.

Wait!

What?

It's eyes were on me!
I had to run.... but I couldn't. Somehow I knew that I would be back here again, or if not.... this damn statue wouldn't stop following me.

I felt like lashing out on myself. Why the hell did I move towards that awful thing?!
Maybe it was destined. I let out a sigh and frowned.

On top of that, the screechy sound of the crickets in the dark silence made my heart hammer against my chest all the more.

I suddenly felt a palm from behind drag it's way towards my chest, in another fraction of a second another hand slid it's finger towards my body..... All of it happened really fast.

In a flash someone crashed itself against my back hugging me from behind.
Her long hair fell upon my shoulder. It was a girl!

She buried her face in my neck and bursted out crying.

That voice made my heart stop. It sounder familiar. Those wavy hair.

"Nandini!" My eyes widened letting out a faint whisper. My throat was choked. I couldn't breath. In simple words I was startled.
I was dying to feel that soft touch of hers! That beautiful voice. I missed her so much..... so very much!

She loosened her grip on me and I turned immediately pulling her into a long tight hug. Her arms were wrapped around my neck and she was on her toes.
She was crying unstoppably. I lifted my hand and placed it on her head to calm her down.
"Shh... it's all okay. I am here, look Nandini, I am there isn't it? There is nothing to fear now."

I started rubbing her back, "Come on, you're a strong girl isn't it? Calm down... relax! Nothing will happen to you now."

I was trying to calm her down. But from within, my heart was scared.
How did it happen suddenly? How did Nandini manage to find me? How did she escape Mahanandan's trap?
All these questions got me suspicious.