CHAPTER 7

"It's grotesque," she said.
"What is?" I asked, concerned.
"Maybe the fact that the circle of life and death revolves around responsibilities we strive to complete."
"Why is that?"
"Inner peace. It makes it difficult to find inner peace."

Nandini-

We were gathered around the table enjoying- maybe enjoying, our first meal together.
Well, I certainly was. It was a cheese burst pizza topped with excessive jalapeños and vegetables. I felt elated as I dived into my first bite. My eyes shut in anticipation as I licked the melted cheese about to drip from my lips. Heaven. The only place where my subconscious and I agreed heartily.

My eyes didn't leave my food unless I wanted another seasoning of chilli flakes or oregano.
With my last bite, I leaned back on the chair with a smile of contentment. The only thing I loved about this trip.
Now I had time to focus on other things.
Opposite to me, I noticed a frowning Nikhil leaving his food untouched.
He looked up at me and smiled weakly.
I raised my eyebrows.

"Why aren't you eating?"

He only looked even more embarrassed.
His mom responded, "let him be, I'm tired of his antics. Never eats anything that's available. Always picky about his food." She shoved him, "think about the people who are not even blessed with one morsel of food. Here you are, wasting it all the time, basking in your privilege." Nikhil rolled his eyes enough for his mother to not notice.

Nicki was stuffing her mouth without a care in the world.
She looked at him, and then his plate, "you mind?" She paused for his response, but before he could she scoffed, "of course you don't." And picked two slices from his plate.

------

The night dawned slowly and the stars glimmered, twinkling in glee, shimmering its light; happy about being visible in less pollution.

My satisfaction had washed off the moment I noticed Nikhil hadn't touched a morsel and went back to his room hungry, following an angry mother.

I slipped off my clothes and pulled on a soft, comfortable and silky blue night suit. Quickly buttoning my shirt up I left my room saying I'm going downstairs for a walk with my mother's voice fading away telling me to be careful in a rush or processing what I said.

I opened my palm to reveal a few crumbled chunks of money. Is it worth it? Shut up, he hasn't eaten, stop being so selfish all the time!

I looked back to a a sprinting Sagar shouting, "I'll come with you too."
Great.
Oh wait, actually great! I now had a plan.

I knocked on Nikhil's door. His mother received it.
"Hello Mrs. Rathod. I was wondering if Nikki and I could take a refreshing stroll in the garden after eating so much."

She gave returned a warm smile, still in her pista green salwar suit and hair plaited neatly.
"Of course honey! That's a good idea. Helps in easy digestion."

I smiled back.
"Nikki, your friend has come for you sweetie!"

She ran out of the room, obviously expecting Sagar and her smile faded into a disappointing mere curl of lips.

"Bring Nikhil along," I whispered curtly.
She disappeared into the room and dragged a struggling Nikhil trying to button his night dress out. Eyebrows furrowed and focussed on the top last buttons of his shirt he trained his eyes at the door and gaped in shock.
I suppressed a giggle.
"Sagar wanted company," I defended.

"Sure," he gave a warm smile.

As we walked out of the door, as I expected, Nikki ran towards Sagar and Sagar walked away with Nikki leaving the two of us alone.