CHAPTER 9

At times you jump to languid thoughts that, that have anxiety shovelling through your brain. But just his voice from miles afar can throw your woes, down the drain.

Nandini-

Entering the dhaba filled us with a whole new enigma of traditions, ethnicity and rich culture.
With folk music blaring in the background and three women heavily decked in antique ornaments, wearing garments, heavily designed with sequins and embroidery; danced to its beat now on the tip of two soda bottles.

I gasped at the stunt.
Her face was covered with a richly designed veil and I could only see the three black dots on her chin and a bright red lipstick.
Beautiful.
Her hands swayed in a graceful motion that were full of white and red bangles up till her upper arms and ankles were beautified with broad silver ringlets.

The lawn was arranged with charpoys that had flat wooden planks placed on them to set the plates. Waiters served the food in copper buckets which steamed of fresh and delicious aroma. I couldn't wait.

We decided to settle down inside the farther end of the restaurant and not outside in the lawn, because the music was too loud to be able to eat peacefully. Didn't matter to me. The food was going to be the same.

–—————— 

I hated to admit but a sudden new change from my beloved pizza to authentic and traditional Rajasthani food, absolutely didn't seem like a bad idea.
This was probably my third khoba roti and second serving for the very spicy but lip smacking curry. I was about to fill my plate in with some rice and lentils which filled my nostrils with a burst of flavours mingled in pure clarified butter, when my eyes landed on Nikhil.

He seemed to have the same expression of satisfaction I had the other day after savouring my cheese burst pizza.
Good.

With conversations and casual talks which ranged from business discussions, to favourite sarees, to college days, to educational qualifications, to favourite teddy bears; we all felt like a long lost family finally uniting.

We called for the check and handed over the money.
Stuffing in some refreshments in a paper towel, as I always do, I started heading out.
I could've sworn I heard a bus starting and taking off but I brushed it off thinking it might be another one that came later and left early.
Besides, if ours was taking off, we would've been called for.

I heard some commotion outside and rushed my steps.
It was my father blaring out at a now terrified receptionist. 
"—what the hell do you mean by it just took off? Didn't you deem fit to inform us?"

"Sir, please do not blame us. They had thirty two people and the head count was perfect. I assumed you might have arrived by a personal vehicle."

Dad glowered, "do you see any personal vehicle here?" He bellowed now, "do you?"

"N-no sir, I just. I only thought that maybe—"

"—how long does it take to simply come and ask?"

"We're incredibly sorry sir. This is a grave mistake only because you were a new set of passengers. We can try arranging a vehicle back to the hotel for you, sir."

"How? I have been trying to contact my driver at the resort for ten minutes now, but this place doesn't seem to have one strand of network! What is up with people being so shamelessly irresponsible?"

Mr. Rathod stepped in, "it's okay Arnav, calm down. Breathe. We'll figure something out. Nikki, get uncle a glass of water."

She ran back and came running-balancing a glass of water.
Dad patted her head lightly and gulped the water down, banging the glass on the table in frustration. I flinched and instantly Nikhil stepped closer.

He whispered in my ear, "you good?"

"Yes", I replied shakily. "And you?"

"I just want to back go to the resort, to be honest."

"Same."

———————

Another hour had passed and it was close to being 12:00 am.
Nikki and Sagar fell asleep on Mrs. Rathod's shoulder. Nikhil and I were leaning on Ma's, still awake noticing our fathers' swift movement in order to find a trustworthy and safe vehicle back the the resort.

Mr. Rathod came running back from a distance and asked us to pick our belongings instantly. We had found a jeep which would take us home.

The night had started getting colder and the whiz of a freezing breeze made all my fatigue vanish instantly.
I noticed, despite the hoodie and shawl, Nikhil's teeth were chattering. His hands drawn in his pockets with failed tries of blowing wind out of his mouth.
His now black hair fell loosely from his forehead out of his hoodie and he looked up at me. I looked away.

We all settled in the jeep, our fathers managed in the front and the six of us seated behind. Nikhil and I somehow preferred sitting together this time. 

The driver turned around, for what, I didn't know, until he spoke.

"Look, it's going to be 12:00 soon and it's going to take an hour. You need to follow a few rules to keep yourself safe."

My brows furrowed in confusion. Did he think we were toddlers?

"One, do not look left, right or behind. Shut your eyes, if you cannot, look straight ahead. You might see things which you'd want to question, or which will certainly confuse you, talk about it later, just shut up until you reach home. Two, the only time you should open your mouth is to pray."

What on Sasha's green earth was going on?

Paa let out a frustrated sigh, "sir. Look. Please. My kids are tired and they need sleep. Could you please drop us to the destination already?"

"Sure. But remember. If you don't follow the rules, I'll ask you to get off the jeep."

He started the ignition and sped past the restaurant.

What I saw further, blew away my logical consciousness.

Author's note:
Welpy delpy!
Enjoy!
Lovely love,
Mansi.