CHAPTER 8

Trudging towards the melancholy I wondered if I was going the right way.
"You don't find the truth, the truth finds you," played in the back of my mind as my steps grew more firm.

Nikhil-

As darkness enveloped the now sullen sky, grey clouds floated amongst the beautiful glimmer of star lights. I breathed in the fresh air, I generally never found in Mumbai. I embraced the peaceful noise of silence.

We were under the blanket of a beautiful evening where the moon had showed up and the last orange stroke of the sunlight had now started vanishing.

With spread carpets and a basket of fruits lain, we were enjoying the hilly terrain of Mount Abu.
Nandini's eyes locked with mine for a mere second and she smiled.
I sighed to myself. Maybe this trip wasn't such a bad idea.

"So, where do you kids want to go for dinner?" Paa asked.

"Pizza Hut!" Nikki screeched. Did God bless her with the voice of a punctured tyre?

"Yes!" Sagar joined.

"No!" I whined. "I've tolerated enough pizza already." I made a puppy face at my father who I was sure would melt. "I didn't even eat anything last night, Paa."

His eyes softened but voice remained firm, "yes. Enough of pizza," he glared at Nikki. "How much pizza will you eat, Nikki? You're on it all day, have some shame. I'm not going to take you to the hospital if your tummy starts hurting with all that sticky polished flour and cheese."

Nikki pursed her lips and looked down.
Yes.

"Nikhil and Nandini will choose today."
Nandini's mother said affectionately, smiling at me.
"Where do you want to go, hun?"

I knew Nandini was supportive of eating pizza, but kept herself from saying it. Maybe. Hopefully.

"Um, maybe we could go to a traditional dhaba?" I suggested.
"We need to try the beloved Rajasthani food too!" I couldn't contain my grin now.

"Dhaba it is then." Nandini's father said with a small smile. He seemed to be someone who didn't prefer interacting much but had an aura of kindness surrounding him.

I smiled at him.

———————

Winding up all our belongings and snacks we stuffed everything on the top of the Innova.

My father turned to our driver, "where is the closest and most preferred dhaba that serves authentic Rajasthani food?"

"It's around ten kilometres from here, sir. Mayal Dhaba."

"Great," he paused and looked at his watch. "So we'll reach in around an hour. That'll be around 8:30 pm. Perfect time for dinner. Let's get going."

The driver hesitated. Did Paa ask for his kidneys?

"I'm afraid I cannot drive you there, sir."

"What, why?" Nandini's dad stepped in this time.

"I'm sorry sir, the route there is not safe."

"Why?" My mother chirped in. "Accident prone area?"

"No, not really."

"Then what's your problem?" Paa was getting frustrated now. One of the very few times someone might have refused him.

"Sir there's only one way that leads to that Dhaba." His voice lowered into a soft whisper, "and that street is said to be haunted. I myself have had horrible experiences."

Paa looked back at Mr. Rajput in disbelief. They both chuckled now. The mothers didn't, but they weren't buying it either.

Of course they wouldn't, what the hell was that?
I suppressed a laugh too.

"Are you drunk by any chance and there are police barricades ahead which is why you don't want to drive us there?" Nandini's mother was upfront and blunt, oh my God.
"We can report you for drinking during work hours. Plus, there was no such policy where you refused to accompany us to any such street, was there?" She questioned further.

"Look ma'am, I'm sorry, I'd rather take an autorickshaw and lose this job than join you there." He paused slightly regretting his words, "please try to understand. I am in dire need of this job but my life is important too. I have a family to feed."

"I'll get you on track," my father was losing patience. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and dialed a number. Something I hadn't seen for two days. He was truly trying to dedicate his time to his family.

"Hello, yes? Am I speaking to Mr. Gupta? Right." He paused for a few seconds waiting for someone to come online.

"Hello, Mr. Gupta? This is Arnav Rathod here. I had booked an Innova and was equipped with a driver, Anupam."

He paused again, "yes. Now the problem my peers and I are facing is that he refuses to take us to a dhaba which is around ten kilometres from here because he claims the street which leads to the place is haunted." He scoffed and waited for his response, "I'm sorry but if I'm spending a good lot of money for your services, the least I expect is quality hospitality and your company is certainly not abiding to its terms. I'm thoroughly disappointed... Alright. Hold on."
He held the phone out to the driver angrily who took it with a now shaky hand.

"Hello?"
"No sir, only that place sir. You know how it is."
"Yes but you should tell them to not risk it too sir."
He walked a little further away with intentions of not letting us hear what he wanted to say next. When he turned his back towards us, I trotted further and perked my ears.
"You can't say that sir. Because they don't understand the gravity of it, doesn't mean they wouldn't be in danger."
"Alright. Fine."

The driver walked back and handed the phone to my father.
"He says that I can help you board the bus which belongs to the same Tours and Travel company that tends to go the same way towards the Dhaba. It shall drop you back too. It is specially for the tourists who want to experience authentic Rajasthani food."

"You realise that we've paid extra money to travel in an AC car and not a mere bus for our tours, right? We wanted minimum company and privacy." Mr. Rajput said.

"I understand that sir, I'm very sorry. But we shan't charge you extra for your bus trip. It is an AC bus and just as safe. Just this once, sir, please."

With a banter that lasted only a few more minutes, we decided to board the bus.

———————

The driver had dropped us on the bus stand. Something seemed off, though. As we were entering I noticed the windows were covered with a thick black coating.

"Why are the windows black?" I asked no one.
"They don't want you to look outside." Our driver behind me responded.
"Why?"

He hesitated and paused, "have a safe trip Jr. Rathod." He smiled.

He should participate in dodgeball considering how well he dodged my question. I frowned and entered.

I couldn't point why, but at this point it felt like I'd rather have compromised with pizza.

Author's note:
This is were it begins. Hoping you've kept up so far. Thank you again!
Lovely love,
Mansi.