Chapter 1 - The New Guy

Skye's POV

Well, another day at this old stupid school. I hate it here. The teachers are total dipshits. Most of the students here are mean.

Now, they do teach us things of course. I just think that the teachers there could be replaced if the principal or whoever hires these people did a bit of a more thorough look.

I only have few real friends here. Their names are Siva, Jay, and Alexis.

We love each other like family; we are best friends, but it's never been more than that. Some people would accuse us of liking each other.

You know, Jay liking me or me liking Siva or Alexis liking Jay or vise versa. Yeah. Stupid shit like that.

And although some people still claim that we like each other, most have actually gotten the clue that we don't feel that way.

-

I walked into first period today and said hi to Jay. I've got all my classes with all my friends at some point in the day. This is a class that I have with just Jay.

I sat in my spot next to him and began writing in my notebook.

"Class, we are having a new student today." Our language teacher, Mrs. Hoofer said. I heard everyone groan. We had too many people in our class already! Something like 30 students?

Do we really need another one?

"Hey now! We will welcome him with respect and you will treat him like he's welcomed." She snapped. Sometimes, I think that teacher acts like a catholic boarding school teacher on steroids. And I know i'm not the only one who thinks that.

The door opened and a boy stepped in. He had green eyes and a brown fringe that swept over his forehead.

"You must be our new student." Mrs. Hoofer smiled.

"Yeah, I am." Green-eyes said.

"Mind telling the class your name?" Mrs. Hoofer gestured.

"Nathan Sykes." He said. I heard a few people mutter a hello to him. Some waved. I saw girls gawking at him.

"Okay, well, I trust you can find a seat Nathan." Mrs. Hoofer said.

Nathan was looking around the room aimlessly. Guess he didn't really know where to look.

"Oh! You can sit right there by Skye." Mrs. Hoofer said and I instantly looked up at the mention of my name.

Nathan looked pretty neutral as he came over and sat next to me.

"You must be Skye." He gave a half smile.

"Yep. I'm Skye. Nice to meet you." I said and returned the smile.

He didn't respond. Just looked away from me.

Um, okay? I guess he's just shy or whatever.

"He seems a bit weird, don't you think?" Jay asked.

"Yeah..really weird." I said.

Now that I look at him closely, he was pretty pale. And his eyes were such a dark green, almost black. Maybe that was just the lighting in here.

"Stare much?" He looked at me and asked in a suddenly nasty tone.

I was shocked by his sudden nasty tone towards me. I grunted and turned my attention back to my notebook. I had no time to think about Nathan and his rude self.

Soon, class ended and I went to my second period, already dreading this day.

-

I walked in second period.

Math.

By far the worst class of the day. See, i'm not exactly the best at math, and our teacher is too strict for his own well-being. Along with Mrs. Hoofer, he acts like a catholic school teacher on steroids.

Most of us, if not all, agree that Mr. Spence was probably a sociopath with schizophrenia in a past life. That's just a little inside joke we came up with.

I don't have this class with Alexis or Jay, but I do with Siva so I really only talk to him in this class. We sit in almost the back of the room.

"Hey Skye." Siva smiled at me.

"Hey Seev." I said and sat down.

Just then, Nathan walked in.

"Mr. Spence?" He asked aloud.

Hold on.

He's here? In this class?!

Could my day get any weirder.

"You must be Nathan." Our teacher, Mr. Spence came up to him and said. Nathan nodded.

"Let's see where i'll put you," Mr. Spence looked around the room for an empty seat. I knew there was an empty one next to Siva and me, but I prayed to god that the teacher would not notice.

"You can sit next to Skye and Siva." Mr. Spence pointed at us. Shit!

I died a little on the inside when he said that. Why would he put him with me! I already sit next to him in first period! I really don't need him near me in second period.

Nathan came over and plopped himself next to me. I rolled my eyes and went about my own business.

I was paying close attention as the teacher droned on about some lesson about a polynomial function when I heard a tapping sound. It sounded like the tapping on the keyboard of a phone.

I looked ove slightly and Nathan was texting away on his phone, not paying a lick of attention to the lesson. I'm not a person who likes to tell on people, so I keep my mouth shut.

But Nathan kept on texting. I got a bit annoyed with him.

I could see Siva trying to hold in his annoyance but he looked liked he was about to tell him off.

"Think you can stop texting for a moment and let me concentrate? Some people here actually want to pass this class!" I whisper-yelled to Nathan.

"My texting is not doing anything to you. It's called, ignore it. And if you don't like it? Move then!" He barked back at me.

"Ms. Malone, Mr. Sykes, is this a conversation you'd like to share with the rest of the class?" Mr. Spence asked suddenly.

"No." We both muttered in unison.

"Well since you have so much to say to each other, you can talk all you want in detention." He said.

Detention?!

I looked over at Nathan who had a devilish smirk on his face.

"This is all your fault." I growled at him.

"Aww. The good girl can't handle one detention?" He laughed.

Before I had time to respond, the school bell rang for lunch. I gathered my things, got my undeserving detention slip from Mr. Spence, and stormed out of the classroom.

Nathan thinks he can run all over me?

I dare him to.