Chapter 4 - Friendship Is In Order

Skye's POV

I went to the restroom, and when I came out, I think I was calm enough to go back to class. 

Max is a pretty interesting person. I'd like to get to know him more. He seems really nice. 

I started walking back towards the classroom. 

When I stepped in, all 20-something pairs of eyes in the room instantly went on me.

"Are you calm, Skye?" Mrs. Hoofer asked.

"Yeah, i'm fine." I half-smiled at her and I went to sit down.

Mrs. Hoofer continued on with whatever lesson she was talking about.

"You okay?" Jay whispered.

"Yeah, i'm good." I breathed.

As the class went on, I managed to keep calm and go on with it without Nathan distracting me.

The bell soon rang and I got up to go to second period.

-

I went in and waved at Siva. 

"Hopefully Nathan won't distract us, right?" He chuckled.

"Yeah." I said.

Oddly, when the final bell rang for students to be in their classes, Nathan wasn't here. Not that I cared or anything.

Mr. Spence was taking attendance, and when he got to Nathan's name, he said, "Mr. Sykes isn't here today?" 

"Guess not." I shrugged to myself. The fact that he isn't here is totally fine with me.

Just then, the door flew open, and Nathan came running in. "Sorry i'm late." Nathan sat down.

"Mr. Sykes, you're late. Care to explain yourself?" Mr. Spence asked.

"I um, had to go to my locker and get something. I was having trouble getting it open." He muttered.

Ha! A likely story.

Mr. Spence gave him a look, but still let him off the hook. 

But somehow I knew that was a lie.

-

As the period was going on, Nathan wasn't distracting me. He wasn't texting loudly on his phone or any of that. He was actually paying attention person for a change.

I really wish Nathan didn't hate me so much for whatever reason I still don't know about.

I only look at the boy a little bit.

Okay, a lot.

Big fucking deal! People look at me all the time and no one hears me crying about it. Good god.

One person stares at him for a mere second and, all hell breaks loose.

I do wish Nathan and I could be friends. I mean, it's not like I haven't thought about it. But he clearly hates me, and frankly, now I hate him. So that's out of the question.

Second period finished up, and I went down to lunch.

As I was walking, I heard a voice. "Skye! Hey! Wait up!" 

I turned around to see Max walking towards me with a smile on his face.

"Hey." I smiled as he caught up with me.

I watched as Nathan came out of the Math classroom, his eyes instantly landing on me.

I spoke quickly to Max so Nathan wouldn't come up and say anything to me first.