Chapter 5 - Anything Is Possible

2 hours later...

Skye's POV

The final bell of the day rang, and everyone filed out of eighth period. I have Gym for that class. It's actually fun most of the time. I have that class with Siva.

"So. Are you friends with Nathan now?" Siva asked as we walked out of the gym and to our lockers.

"Um, yeah. I wouldn't really say we're friends, but we're being nice to each other finally." I nodded.

"Be careful, okay?" His tone turned serious.

"Careful? What's the matter?" I asked, confused.

"I just don't want to see you get hurt." He said as we walked to my locker.

"I'll be fine, Seev. Chill. You act like something is off about him." I said.

Why does he think i'll get hurt? Nathan's just a guy who I'm getting to know. It's not like i'm dating him or something. That would never happen. 

I grabbed my backpack from my locker and started walking towards the doors of the school to meet Nathan.

"Aren't you gonna ride the buses with us?" Siva called after me.

"Not today! Today I'm walking home with Nathan." I yelled back.

"Okay. Have fun." I heard him say just as I was turning the corner.

-

I walked out of the school and saw Nathan sitting on a bench, twiddling his thumbs. He looked nervous.

"Nathan?" I walked over to him.

He looked up. "Skye. Hey." He smiled at me.

"Come on, let's walk." I gestured and began walking towards home. He followed.

"So. I have a question." I asked as we were walking.

"Shoot."

"Why did you hate me so much?"

"I don't really know. I get nervous and intimidated around pretty girls." He said.

My eyes widened. Did he just call me pretty?

"Yes, I just called you pretty." He smiled. It was as if he read my mind. I guess my face gave away to what I was thinking.

"Wow, um, thanks." I smiled at him.

"You're welcome."

"But why? Why do you get so scared and intimidated by pretty girls? I would think it's the other way around. They get intimidated by you." I said.

"No girl has ever really liked me. And even if they have, they've always end up cheating on me." He said.

Oh. Wow. He's had his heartbroken quite a bit. I don't really see why, he's not a bad looking lad.

His smile, the way he hypnotizes you with those green eyes...

Wait. No. No.

I'm not falling for him. I can't be. Sure, we're friends, but nothing more!

You do not like Nathan. I kept telling myself.

"Any girl would be crazy to cheat on someone like you." I said aloud, trying to help him feel better.

"Thanks for being sympathetic, but I think I'm just not meant for anyone." He smiled weakly.

"Well don't say that! Your perfect girl is out there, you just have to look harder. Everyone has that one person who's meant for them, even if it takes them longer to find him or her."