chapter 10

"That's not possible because we already betrothed you to Lady Carmine of Axester. The wedding is already planned and is set for two weeks from today. So why don't you tell you 'special friend' to go home and find another sap to sink his claws in." Nero's mother tossed her hair back over her shoulder like every stereotypical white girl who thought who she was. I could feel the anger rolling off Nero in waves so strong that it surprised me that she wasn't flinching back in fear like I was.

"You had no right in doing that mother! You knew I left to get away from you and the bitches you keep trying to set me up with. I'm lucky I was even able to find my mate, what do you think I was going to do, come back and marry whatever gold digger you set me up with?!" Nero yelled taking a threatening step towards her.

"Now, now Nero we thought you would never find your mate so we went to plan B. Even though it would have been nice to be in a treaty with Axester I will not force you to marry Lady Carmine." Nero's father said soothingly while giving me a sympathetic look.

"I refuse to allow my son to mate a human! Let alone a male human!" Nero's mother screamed her face turning an ugly shade of red.

"I refuse to marry her! And if you think you're going to try and force me to marry her you can kiss your heir goodbye. You know I can disappear without a trace you just got lucky finding me in the first place." Nero's mother growled standing up from her chair but you could see her slowly backing down.

"If you mate that pathetic human boy you will no longer be my son." She growled her last attempt to control her son.

"Fine then Ameril, you're no longer my mother." Nero said with a surprising amount of calmness considering what he was saying. He grabbed my hand pulling me out of the throne room and back down the winding hallways.

"N-Nero are you ok?" I asked trying to get him to slow down.

"Yeah I'm fine. I should have expected this from her. All she ever wanted was to have power and money and by having me marry the princess of another kingdom she would be getting more money and more power. Also considering she probably had her claws in whatever pathetic girl was caught in her trap. She thinks she would be able to control me through a wife." We suddenly stopped in front of a black door that seemed very out of place among the cream walls. Nero waved his hand over the doorknob and various clicking sounds were heard. The door swung open to reveal a room with dark blue walls and gray carpeting. The bed was a lighter shade of blue that the walls with black swirls on it. There was a bookcase taller than Nero completely filled with books right next to a desk that only had a laptop and a light on it.

"Whoa." I walked towards the bookcase running my fingers over the spines. Most of them were leather bound and looked really old and of course were in a different language, so boo I can't read them.

"Many of these books have been passed down through generations of my family. I think the oldest one I have is 300 years old. If you want I can teach you dragoness so you can read them." Nero suggested looking sheepish as he stood next to me also looking at the book.

"Can't you just read them to me?" Nero blushed rubbing the back of his neck.

"I guess I can." I nodded smiling before pulling a book out and flipping through the pages.

"There's room in the closet and the dresser for your clothes so you can put them away now if you want. Dinner isn't for another 4 hours so I figured I can either show you around the castle and the town or we can just hang out here."

"Um well how about I put my clothes away and you can show me around the castle so I can possibly know where I'm going in the future." I joked sliding my bag off my shoulder and opened the door that I thought was the closet...and nope it was the bathroom. And let me just say this, the bathroom might just become my favorite room in this whole house. There was a shower that could fit three people and it looked like the ones that were like a waterfall thing, the showerhead was directing above you in the ceiling. There was a Jacuzzi tub with candles around the edge and bottles of bubble bath. I will have to remember to take a nice long bath tonight. I closed the bathroom door and opened the door to the closet. I hung my t-shirts up before stuffing my other clothes in the dresser drawers.

"Ok I'm ready! Now show me how to navigate through this humongous castle of yours." Nero led me out of the room heading us back towards the throne room. He showed me the front gardens first naming all the different plants that grew. Then he showed me the kitchen, great room, what they considered the living room that was 4 times the size of the one at my house, the den, where the servants that lived in the castle stayed, other guests rooms, his office, and the best room in the whole castle...the library. Now their library was twice the size of the public library I worked and had at least 4 times the amount of books. There were 2 levels that had chairs and desks scattered around with lamps so people had enough light to read.

"This is heaven!" I yelled running up to the different bookcases letting my eyes flick through the titles.

"I knew you would like this. My grandmother was an avid reader and my grandfather built this specifically for her. She was the only one allowed in here until I was about 9 and showed and interest in books like she did and like you do. So now you can have access to this room any time you want, just put your hand against the door and it will let you in. No one will be able to get in unless specifically told by me or you let them in." Nero said as he slowly followed behind me as I ran around like a kid in his first candy store.

"Oh my god thank you! This is the best thing in the world. Thank you for showing me this!" I ran over and hugged him. I felt Nero tense up before he wrapped his arms around me hugging be back tightly.

"You're welcome Alex. Now lets go we have to get ready to go to dinner." I nodded myhead pulling back. Nero made me put on a white button down shirt and a nice pair of slacks that were magically in with my clothes and were my size. He said that it was customary to dress nicely when having dinner with the king and queen. Hopefully we wont have dinner with them too much, I hate wearing anything other than t-shirts and jeans. Nero nodded his head approvingly at mebefore motioning me to leave the room. Hopefully nothing dramatic will happen, oh can a guy dream.