Chapter 12

I fidgeted trying desperately not to look at Nero again, knowing if I did I would spill my guts and I didn't want that to happen. I didn't want him to be with me just because he thought he had to because of the mate thing. He deserves someone who knows about this world and can help everyone, things that I can't do.

"Alex what's going on? What happened?" Nero whispered pulling me against his chest. I bit my lip trying to force myself to be quiet but I knew it wouldn't last long. I was never one to lie or keep secrets from others. I went to pull myself away but Nero wouldn't let me go.

"I-I can't s-say."

"Why not?" I shook my head feeling tears threaten to fall down my face. Nero cupped the back on my head forcing me to lay my head in the middle of his chest where his heartbeat was the strongest. I burst into tears finally allowing myself to feel the full brunt of hate from Ameril's words. Nero leaned down whispered soothing words into my ears as I clutched his shirt sobbing into his chest. Once I finally clamed down Nero allowed me to pull back from him rubbing the wet spot.

"Sorry about soaking your shirt." I whispered my voice horse from crying.

"Its ok, it will dry. Now will you tell what the hell is going on? You were fine when I left you." He cupped my face forcing me to look at him. I sighed finally feeling the last of my resolve break.

"I guess I just realized that I wouldn't be a good mate."

"And what makes you think that?"

"Well I know nothing about dragons, I don't know your language or how things are run around here. You're a prince, you're meant to be in front of your people while I would rather be sitting in my bedroom reading a book. I don't want to be the center of attention, to have everyone follow you everywhere you go!" I cried feeling tears running down my face...again. I yanked myself back trying to get away from Nero as he started to chuckle at me. He grabbed my arms holding me still as I used everything in me to try and get away from him. That asshole! How can he be laughing at me?! I basically laid my heart out to him and he's laughing!!

"Alex, Alex calm down! I'm not laughing at you! I just find it funny that you think not being a dragon would stop you from being my mate, or ruling this kingdom."

"Of course it would! How can I help run things smoothly when I don't know anything!?" I yelled feeling fed up with everything. I don't understand why he's fighting to make me stay, most people would try to get me to leave.

"Come on I have something to show you." Nero dragged me away from the door and down the hallway pulling me into an office. He forced me into a chair before walking over to a bookcase pulling out a super thick book. I ignored him as he sat down next to me putting the book on his lap. He flipped through a couple of pages before stopping on a picture of a couple; the picture was faded and had a yellow tint to it showing its age.

"This is my great great great grandparents, Emil and Aurora. Aurora was 20 when she decided to go out into the human world to find her mate, since most dragons find their mated when they turn 16. She ended up meeting him at a little café in France." He flipped two more pages, "Now these are my grandparents Henry and Maggie. Maggie was the daughter of a merchant that lived in town. Her mother was a human so she ended up getting those genes instead of the dragon ones her brothers got." I gazed at the pictures feeling amazed.

"So I'm not the only human?"

"No of course not. Matings between humans and dragons have been happening since the beginning of time. Why do you think almost every culture had folk lore about us dragons from hundreds of years ago?" Nero chuckled. I shrugged as I felt him starring at my face, "So are you going to tell me where the idea of you not being good enough came from? You were fine an hour ago."

I sighed, I didn't want to tell him and start another fight between him and his mother. But I knew that he would get it out of me one way or another. God it's only been a few days but its felt like we've known each other for years.

"Your mother said some stuff." I whispered turning my face away from him.

"What was that Alex? I didn't hear you." I bit my lip turning to face him.

"Y-your mother and Margaret came up to your room. When they saw me they kinda attacked me saying that I wasn't good enough, stuff like that. I guess I just believed them." I jumped slightly as Nero jumped up growling with a murderous look on his face.

"How dare she?! That's the last straw I won't have her verbally attacking my mate!" Nero yelled starting to head towards the door but I grabbed his wrist stopping him.

"Please don't do anything. I don't want anymore fights started because of me!" I pleaded trying to get Nero to change his mind.

"No Alex I'm not going to stand by and allow this to happen!"

"Please Nero, please!" I begged again watching as Nero starred at me before growling and nodding his head.

"Fine I won't do anything, but if either of them say anything else again let me know. And if I find out they do and you didn't tell me there will be consequences alright?" I nodded my head. I covered my mouth yawning, man being yelled at, running down multiple hallways, and fighting Nero really takes a lot out of a person. I squealed as Nero picked me up bridal style cradling me to his chest. I fought for a second before snuggling up against Nero placing my forehead against his neck falling asleep.

-----------------------

Hey guys I hope you liked this chapter. If you haveany ideas let me know in the comments! Thank you so much for voting andreading. I also don't know if I want to make this an Mpreg later on. Let meknow if you think I should or not!