Chapter 24

Alex's P.O.V

I panted as I slid across the floor, my flames flickering wanting to die out. Me and a few guardsmen were training out in the court yard trying to increase the amount of time I can hold flames outside of my phoenix form. So far I can go two hours without trying to concentrate on keeping the flames, if I try to concentrate on my flames while fighting I can last about 3 and a half hours but my reflexes end up being slower. I sighed sitting down on the pavement letting my flames flicker out.

"Good job today Master Alex you've improved a lot in the last few weeks. If you keep improving at this rate then I bet you'll be able to hold your flames forever without worrying." Tony, the head guard, said clapping me on the back. I gave him a weak smile as he walked away before flopping back on the ground groaning in pain. It is so much harder trying to control my flames than it is controlling my water. Maybe it's because flames are more wild than water, they have a mind of their own sometimes. Just as my breath came back to me a shadow covered my face. I slowly pealed my eyes open to see Nero smirking down at me.

"Had a hard day, huh?" he chuckled squatting down next to my head.

"Oh shut up." I groaned back at him closing my eyes again.

"Well you were the one who said learning to control your flames was going to be 'easy peasy'"

"Yeah well who would think it would have been this hard?!" I slowly sat up gripping into the hand Nero held out to me.

"I told you from the being it was going to be hard. I would know I'm a dragon." Nero chuckled picking me up walking us back towards the castle.

"Yeah yeah yeah whatever." I grumbled laying my head on his shoulder trying to stay awake but I was just too exhausted. I was jolted awake as I was slowly placed in a tub of hot water.

"Good you're awake. I was afraid I'd have to hold you head above water as you soaked." I waved him off as I let my body sink into the water just leaving my head above water. Once the water started to go cold I gently stood up in the tub wincing at my still sore muscles. I did a half assed job at drying myself off before climbing into bed butt naked face first.

"Not that I don't enjoy this view, you should at least put boxers on." Nero chuckled walking into our room locking the door behind him.

"M'tired." I grumbled into the pillow not even flinching when I felt him slowly slip boxer on me.

"Well get some well deserved sleep. You're not training tomorrow I'm going to take you somewhere special." I vaguely heard Nero say as I felt the bed sink down on my left side before I passed out.

----------------------------

The next morning I slowly woke up to the sun streaming across my back gently warming me. I yawned stretching turning over to face Nero but saw that he wasn't there. I frowned but shrugged, he was probably off doing his princely duties. Whatever more time for me to sleep and less time I'm going to be forced to do something. I rolled over onto Nero's half of the bed rolling up in the blankets to everything smelt like him. I must have fallen back asleep for longer than I thought because the next time I woke up the curtains were pulled open and Nero was sitting on my side of the bed doing paperwork.

"What time is it?" I yawned rolling over to face him but not removing myself from my cocoon.

"About noon. I knew you were tired just not that tired." Nero chuckled throwing his work onto the nightstand before laying down to face me. I yawned again shrugging my shoulders snuggling back down into the bed. It feels like I could sleep for years.

"Nope you can't go back to sleep we do have some stuff to do today and I would rather do them before it gets dark." Nero moved pulling the blankets away from my body making me whine is discomfort from the chilly air hitting my body.

"No let me sleep!" I tried to pull the blankets out of Nero's hands but I knew it wouldn't work he's a lot stronger than me. I gave up flopping back against the bed staring up at the ceiling.

"Sorry but no, you need to get up and get moving. So let's go." I yelled out as Nero picked me up throwing me over his shoulder and getting off the bed heading towards the shower. He placed me back on my feet in front of the shower but kept an arm around me as he turned the shower on and made it warm.

"No take a shower and when you're done I'll have clothes set out for you. Then meet me by the front doors." I sighed nodding my head waiting until he left to strip and climb into the shower. I made sure to take an extra long shower just to annoy him, you want to wake me up and make me do thing then we are leaving on my time. I chuckled to myself shaking my head climbing out and drying myself off. I walked out of the bathroom and changed into the clothes Nero left for me, a pair of skinny jeans, a graphic tshirt, a random pair of sneakers, and a light jacket.

I met up with Nero walking down towards the front doors. He was carrying a book bag and a duffle bag.

"Are we going somewhere?" I questioned taking the book bag he held out to me.

"Yes and it's a surprise so don't ask where we are going." He chuckled at my annoyed look before grabbing my hand dragging me outside. We went over to a clearing off to the side of the castle before placing the duffle on the ground and shifting. I couldn't help but run my hands along his black scales, it's been awhile since I saw his dragon form. I felt Nero purr as he gently nudged me onto his back before picking up the duffle gently in his mouth and taking off. He flew around the castle before taking off towards the mountains. We were so high up that you could see the whole forest laid out beneath us. It was so beautiful seeing the rivers run through the land and the random little village that popped up as we flew. But the more we flew the thicker the forest got and the less villages popped up. Where the hell is he taking me?

------------------------

Hey guys sorry for the long wait on new chapters but life is hectic ya know. I also hope you weren't too annoyed at me going through the past chapters and editing. My major goal right now is to hopefully finally finish this book but who knows what's going to happen. But let me know what you think and what you would like to see in future chapters. Live y'all my Illyrian babies. (if you know this book reference let me know!!)